The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3G Brake Master Cylinder Question...

BrandonEchols

Probably a newb question, but I'm swapping my MC out with a 3G eclipse model (1 1/16" Bore), and instead of having two top ports like our stock unit, it has one top port and one side port - I'm not sure which of the ports is the primary, and which is the secondary on this MC.

Basically just want to make sure that I'm hooking it up correctly to the proportioning valve.

Anyone installed one of these and know which lines go to which ports on the MC and prop valve?

kenyans001.jpg

CutlassJim

The lines go to the same places. Front to the front and rear to the rear. I've had success bending the back line to make it to the side port and I've also just bent a new line from scratch.

FCR

The line stay in the same places here's mine...

GSTwithPSI

Got a question few questions about this swap:

The 3G brake line fittings at the master are double flare. How did you adapt the stock inverted flared hard lines to the 3G double flare master cylinder ports?

Also, are you guys using stock calipers, or something else? How would you describe the change in pedal feel?

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

I know it's not correct, but I think most people just thread them in as is.

MellowVR4

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Got a question few questions about this swap:

The 3G brake line fittings at the master are double flare. How did you adapt the stock inverted flared hard lines to the 3G double flare master cylinder ports?

Also, are you guys using stock calipers, or something else? How would you describe the change in pedal feel?

I cant remember if they where bubble flare on the 3g master, but im sure they where the standard inverted style. For the pedal feel, defently a little more responsive, also using stock dual piston calipers.

GSTwithPSI

Right, the lines on the car are inverted flare. However, the 3G master will only accept a double flare fitting. Here's what I'm talking about:

Inverted flare pictured top, double flare bottom.
flares.jpg

I'm going to just try and cut the line, and re-flare it with a double flare die. I'm just curious as to how others have made the 3G master work on their cars.

As far as just screwing the inverted flare fitting into the 3G master, I hope to god nobody is that stupid. The fittings aren't even close to being the same, and there's no possible way it would work safely. The brake system isn't something I would just rig up to work.

Last edited:

MellowVR4

hmmm, I can't remember /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Just FYI, your terminology is incorrect. The inverted flares are "double flares" (folded over itself in the forming to make it stronger) because of their construction. The other style, typical to European cars, are "bubble flares" because of their shape.

prove_it

I installed a 3g master and used the GVR4 lines and have had no leaks or issues.

Pedal is friggin awesome now.

prove_it

Quoting GSTwithPSI:

As far as just screwing the inverted flare fitting into the 3G master, I hope to god nobody is that stupid. The fittings aren't even close to being the same, and there's no possible way it would work safely. The brake system isn't something I would just rig up to work.

You would be surprised how well it does work. Sure it's not exact, but they will seal and hold pressure.

MellowVR4

I think I just put an adapter on it.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting prove_it:
I installed a 3g master and used the GVR4 lines and have had no leaks or issues.

Pedal is friggin awesome now.

Stock calipers? Also, you have any issues with the reservoir clearing the strut tower? Looks like it is a tight fit?

Last edited:

89Mirageman

I installed one on my 94 Summit coupe too which has the same type of flare as the GVR4's. I too noticed the difference but figured I'd just try it and see what happens. I kept an eye on it and zero leaks anywhere. Pedal pressure is great.

MellowVR4

The reservoir gets close, But never touches the strut tower.

prove_it

I just used the OEM GVR4 resivour and lines. The fittings will press in softly, but there is no pressure behind them and they are not leaking, not coming loose, and I've gone 5k miles of bumpy ass roads. Could use a zip tie to hold them down for security, but they are doing just fine.

Using stock front calipers. I just swapped to the outlander rotors and damn between the two, these brakes are firm and responsive.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting MellowVR4:
The reservoir gets close, But never touches the strut tower.

Thanks, dude. That's the answer I was looking for. Half of the reason I want to do the swap is to get rid of the stock remote brake fluid reservoir on the firewall. I appreciate all the input here.

MellowVR4

Yea no problem man, it cleans up the engine bay just by doing that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned