The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

no fuel/stumped/frustrated SOLVED!!!

slowpoke

Alright guys I bought a shell and since my floor rotted out in 548/2000 I decided to bring a rust free summit white 1833/2000 back from the dead. 548 was a running and driving car I pulled the motor Friday and had the car ready to start and drive sunday. As I turned the key wouldn't start just crank for days. checked over all the basics first. I DO HAVE SPARK, MPI relay is functioning (tried 2 both known good) and I swapped 2 ecus through the car that were KNOWN good ones. im getting a good ground at the pump and im getting a 12 volt signal on the yellow/green wire and the connection.

Now im at a loss here. all my wiring SEEMS to check out as far as resistance from point to points. ecu all checks out. cam sensor is working since I have spark. I also swapped ignition switchs, added chassis grounds, YES I put gas in it. I put straight power to the power and negative on the pump and it works tried stock and walbro 255 both work when put directly to power.

Once again I am completely stumped on this car. What am I missing? I aldo had a 5 volt reference at the pump harness to. Sending unit is reading gas in the tank and the gas light came on when I had the pump out of the car. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME I WANNA DRIVE THIS BEAUTY!!!!

my number is 262-994-8514 if you woul dlike to contact me directly

Thanks for your time,
Joe

Last edited:

BpuVR4

Just to throw it out there, the two times when I had a similar fuel problem and checking usual suspects, the culprits were the inline fuse from rewire, and next time relay for the rewire.

slowpoke

Im on a stock harness no rewire

G

Staff member
Rotate the cas while someone is cranking and see what happens.

MellowVR4

I forgot to mention this? tha cas could be bad?

slowpoke

Well if the cas is bad wouldnt I not have spark? I have spark.

MellowVR4

I think you wouldnt have injectors firing

slowpoke

Im unsure if they are opening or not.

gtluke

pry open your MPI relay, or a spare one and hold the contactor down in it by hand and see if the pump turns on. While you are at it, check the connection between the MPI relay and the harness. If you have a larger than stock fuel pump in there, and DON'T have a rewire, after a few years the connector will melt and insulate itself and you won't get power to the pump. So check that. Also check the connectors to the fuel pump, same thing happens there. It's too much power through the small wires/connectors.

slowpoke

I ended up changing on new connectors on the pump and body harness. Ill definently check inside that relay. Thanks for the info. I found a wiring diagram also.

slowpoke

ok guys just an update I did that test that you told me and there was no fuel pump by manually doing it. I found a "rewire" if you suggest it be called that behind the carpet in the trunk. The relay was fired so I fixed the harness back to stock. still no fuel. that's all I have for now.

slowpoke

SOLVED!!!!!!!!!! well im kind of an idiot for doing it and not realizing what I did. It ended up being the ground wire on the pump assembly. Instead of checking the resistance at the actual ground post on the assembly I checked it at the end of the wire not the eyelid connector. I rechecked it at the post on the assembly and BAM HOLY RESISTANCE!!!!! ended up cutting off the old eyelid soldered on a longer wire and grounded it to a different location and what do you know I get fuel and car starts!!! now time to put the exhaust and hood on the car and take her for a spin! this car hasn't been driven in 2 years so out of the 5 previous people that had it as a shell im the one the brought it back from the dead. Feels pretty good to me. sorry just excited that I get to drive a clean gvr4.

Thanks for everyones help in this process of me being stupid

Joe

FlyingEagle

Staff member
The fact that you were in poking around with a DVOM is steps above some others. Well done. If you ever doubt what you just did. STOP and rethink step by step. Even leaving the room for a few minutes and checking paperwork, can make some sense out a puzzling situation.

Good to hear the car will be starting/rolling again. I'm jealous and my car has only been sitting since early spring.

slowpoke

This car has sat for 2 years and 4 different owners as a shell. I was dedicated and had the car on the road in a week! Thanks to the support of this forum and good people it got done. Ill post pics of 1833 after I give her a bath and wax. I had to sacrifice 548/2000 to do it. But the rust factor was to dangerous to have my 2 year old in the car. But thank you for the positive feedback!

Joe

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned