The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

just got done painting the #975

bmxr152

Just got done with my 14 hour escapade. I used summit racing 2k urethane primer and a single stage carbon fiber metallic with a clear coat. Total cost was around 400 with a sharpe spray gun. Came out really well. Just need to wet sand and buff.

bmxr152

Lol Im kinda done with painting for a while. That was alot of work. i took some days off work just to prime it and paint it.

LIV4PSI

I think cheap color changes ruin the car. It looks like a $400 paint job

LIV4PSI

There are very visible dents, the paint is splotchy all over the passenger side, the engine bay etc don't match now...

I have nothing against people changing colors on these cars, rdomneck's looks great. I just think if you can't afford to do it right, leave it alone. And that means proper prep work, and painting everything. There aren't enough VR4s left for hack color change paint jobs

Edit: I should of started out by saying props for not being scared to DIY. For an amateur paint job, OP did very well. My best friend owns a body shop, so I guess he has made me over critical

Last edited:

Jason G.

The only dent I can make out is the one under the right headlight and the rear bumper has a flaw. Outside of that I don't see much else wrong with. The paint looks decent in pics, some color sanding would make it look great.

Is this your first time spraying a car?

rdomeck

Quoting LIV4PSI:
There are very visible dents, the paint is splotchy all over the passenger side, the engine bay etc don't match now...

I have nothing against people changing colors on these cars, rdomneck's looks great. I just think if you can't afford to do it right, leave it alone. And that means proper prep work, and painting everything. There aren't enough VR4s left for hack color change paint jobs

Edit: I should of started out by saying props for not being scared to DIY. For an amateur paint job, OP did very well. My best friend owns a body shop, so I guess he has made me over critical

Looks ok for the money you have in it....I think the reason that people are critical (and for good reason) is that some people would try and pass this off as a new professional paint job. I have nearly 200 hours and $2500 in materials. That equates to $14,500 in labor in materials and a normal shop rate. These cars aren't worth that and most people would have a hard time spending 25% of that on a paint job!

Seems ok for the time and money invested, just don't try to pass it off as a professional job please!

Gizmovr4

Exactly what rdomeck said - most of these cars sell for under 5k - How does one justify paying more than that for a paint job?I'm sure this paint job didn't de-value what would be a 3K car that much. Bet this car looks alot better now than before he painted it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Besides in the NY/NJ area most bodyshops don't want to get involved with complete paint jobs - not worth there time - they would rather repair collision damage and small dents/dings.

Last edited:

bmxr152

The engine was out of the car when i painted it. I didnt show any pictures because i wanted to see who the first to bash it was. Also the inside door jambs and trunk were painted to match. For thepaint being splotchy. Its not the paint it called orange peel and i have not color sanded or buffed yet. Yeah there are still dents but i did not feel like spending a bunch of time doing body work. Btw Ive painte many cars and i do know what i am doing. We would charge 1700$ for the same paint job.

Last edited:

bmxr152

Heres a couple before pictures. Through hood and front right fender were both resprayed at some time before me and someone didnt spray the clear within the proper time so the clear eventually came off. The left side rear also had primer spots. The car was stored in a garage with a bunch of crapy on it so there were scrapes all over to the primer. I could have spent more time on it but i just wanted something that looked nice and all one color. Plus we had some cobra dsg laying around. Like others stated to me its not worth spending more than 1k in supplys because it only worth from 3 to 5k. Anyways once i get my jdm bumpers in i might re paint it but in person it looks pretty good. To orange peely. But on Monday at work ill break out the 1k and 2k paper and then buff it with our 3m medium cut then polishing compound.

cheekychimp

I also like that colour. I think it is true that some colors can look out of place on an older car that doesn't pull off bright fluorescents etc but this colour is sort of modern without being in your face. Looks good as a one colour but if you did ever respray it, I think some Matt Black accents (door and roof strips, grill etc) would also look good. That's what I hope to eventually do with my daily now that I have the black wheels on it.

Paul.

GSX_TC

Looks like 1078! Pretty good for doing it yourself btw.

rdomeck

Quoting bmxr152:
For the paint being splotchy. Its not the paint it called orange peel and i have not color sanded or buffed yet.

Paint being splotchy does not have to do with orange peel. Has to do with spraying a metallic in single stage. You will never get that splotchy look out with a single stage metallic. It takes some special techniques to get a metallic to lay down and those techniques are not possible when spraying single stage!

bmxr152

Well it was not the the single stage base that was looking splotchy it was the cleqr . I know what you mean though. I used my criss cross pattern and angle spray method. There was only one area that came out splotchy and it was by the fuel door. Overall it came out pretty good. I just need to wetsand and buff To get the full gloss

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts