The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

oem hks intake?

Epifool

I picked up 1025/2000 a couple weeks ago, and found a huge intake can in the trunk from hks. I asked the former owner, n he said it was a rare factory option. Anybody know about this? Id like to use it, because i wanna ditch my ghetto speed density setup.

bobdole

Wasn't a rare factory item. I had this intake on my old GVR4. Nice pc.

cheekychimp

I've got one too, but I 'thought' it came as a kit that included an HKS MAF, not just the filter???

GSX_TC

Pretty sure it was just a can and a filter.

bobdole

Quoting cheekychimp:
I've got one too, but I 'thought' it came as a kit that included an HKS MAF, not just the filter???

No MAF included. You use the OEM MAF.

cheekychimp

^^ True today, probably when it was introduced there weren't as many options available.

Bob, I know the stock MAF bolts on, but are you positive there was never an HKS MAF option. I'm not disputing what you said, just curious because I have always been told it was an 'upgraded' MAF. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that isn't the case, it's just that I've heard it more than once. I'll have to take a closer look at mine.

bobdole

Never heard of HKS offering a MAF sensor for any car. They offered the VPC to take out the MAF sensor.

G

Staff member
I had one of these nib at one time. Does not come with a maf and is not oem. 100% aftermarket.

cheekychimp

Quoting bobdole:
Never heard of HKS offering a MAF sensor for any car. They offered the VPC to take out the MAF sensor.

Quoting G:
I had one of these nib at one time. Does not come with a maf and is not oem. 100% aftermarket.

Okay fair enough. I had always wondered why an 'upgraded' MAF wouldn't require an accompanying chip to compensate for improved airflow. I saw one previous example where the MAF was riveted to the airbox/intake which also made it look as if it was a non-interchangeable integrated unit. That's a pretty stupid 'mod' under the circumstances as it will be a bitch to remove if it goes wrong /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

GSX_TC

Quoting turbowop:
And who would want to use a 1g maf instead of SD? Not worth using it just for the brand name, IMO.

^^

This!

Wizardawd

I actually have one of them in my garage. Missing the foam, but the rest is intact. Very high quality piece. 1g Mas has gone 10s with ease btw.

Wiz

turbowop

Lots of old tech made power and went fast, like the VPC, 20g, SAFC, etc. 1g mas may have gone 10's with ease back in the day, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't run like absolute sh*t in a street car with it hacked to sh*t like that. There are much better options out there now.

Epifool

Ok.. not tryin to say anyones wrong, just puttin my newb eye on it- the one i have is an hks filter(150mm, i think), on a big ass can that appears to contain a mas. And it looks to have been made that way from a factory, as its not glued together or tack welded with stick or fluxcore mig, and isnt some crap "this is my first tig weld" welds.. 464/2k said it wasnt an option, but a "factory upgrade" from hks. Also, 464 owned 1025 once upon a time. All that said- i love the look of the filter/can, and would like to put it on 1848, and am not afraid to mod things. Im kinda lookin for some help from you fellas thatve been around, and know the many different setups and variables, etc. Im gonna be daily driving 1848, and want to know a good setup to use as far as, i need it to be done well, and not look at it and feel like its half assed and held together with juicyfruit. Itll see wet weather, snow, etc- sh*t guys, i dont even have a single o2 sensor!! It didnt even have a boost gauge when i got it. The mbc was ziptied to the radiator fan housing.

turbowop

It's an aftermarket part, plain and simple. And it's made for the original MAF that these cars came with from the factory. That old MAF is what most people go away from due to its limitations. A better way to go is to use a 2gMaf, an EvoMaf, or some version of speed density.

If you're wanting HKS parts really bad, get one of their BOV's or a set of their cams. At least those will be upgrades.

Epifool

Not so much stuck on having hks parts as just makin it not look like a ghetto motor with a plastic, screwed together cold air intake pipe. I wanna smile from pride when i raise the hood, not from mild shame. The only reason i call it a speed density setup is cause the guy who sold it to me said thats what it is. I dont really have a clue wtf is goin on as far as "setup" is concerned. I only know a few things- its rockin a t3, sst chip in the ecu, and is gonna have a egt tapped before long. I know its a reasonably solid motor, just askin for pics, diagrams, and advice on how to make it a clean, reliable dd. I dont want to remove the intake and put the piece of door screen back over the inlet. I dont need cams yet. I only need to know if what i have is really s.d., and advice as to how to improve it , or what to change if its not.

turbowop

If it's really setup for SD, then just get a new intake pipe and pod filter. They're pretty cheap. Probably less than $80 depending on what size you need.

Wizardawd

IMG_20130630_094351.jpg

IMG_20130630_094415.jpg

This is exactly how it came from hks other than mine is missing the foam for the filter cage. You can see that you just unbolt the OEM mas and bolt it into this can.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned