The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Buying a used trans... advice?

Epifool

Ok, i need a little advice. 1848's trans is worn, and havin trouble shifting 1-2, and into rev. So i started looking around, and found a compatible one for sale. It isnt in a car, and i am wondering if theres any kind of way to check it out before buying? Its pretty reasonably priced, and I dont have the money to waste. I could rebuild the extra trans i have sitting in pieces, but the wife wont let me do both! So, is there a way to check these out, or process, checklist, whatever, to look at when buying a used trans?

GreenGSX

Bring an old disc to spin the input shaft and go through the gears.

rdomeck

I can't see how you could spin a disc fast enough to give you any indication of how well one would shift.... You close to me and I have 3 transmission sitting on the shelf that need rebuilt. PM and we could discuss you getting one of these to rebuild while your driving on yours!

GreenGSX

You can't spin the disc fast enough to know how its going to shift. In fact, there is nothing you can do besides opening up the box to determine if its junk or not without installing it and taking it for a drive. The question was "what can I do" without being able to test drive it. Putting a spare disc on the input shaft and taking it through the gears is about all you can do. It can tell you if its a box of rubble or it at least is operable. Buying used transmissions is like buying used turbo's..there is a lot of potential to be had for the money but the risk is very, very high.

theevozero

If you're referring to mine, i will tear it apart for you so you can inspect the scyncros and bearings, then reassemble and reseal it.

donkeylips

The transmission in 924/1000 shifts horribly but I consider myself lucky because at least it's consistent. And all of the gears work fine. I wouldn't ask any more out of a used (dsm) trans that I haven't tried out for myself.

Epifool

No, theevozero, i found one pretty close to me, the guy wants to keep his car auto, but says the trans came with it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts