The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Decreasing 92 Taillight Suckage

BluFalcon

Recently decided to pull off the smoked 91 tails on my car, and reinstall the stock taillights until I can source a good set of 91 GVR-4 lights. I love the way they look, but I must be getting old or something. All I can think about when I'm driving the car is if the jackwagon behind me can see my lights during the day or not. Also, after getting pulled over and ticketed a few months ago for expired inspection, I'd rather not give the police any other reasons to pull me over. I drive bad enough as it is.

Anyway, I still had my 92 taillights stored away and dragged them out into the daylight once again. I've always hated the way these things look on the car, especially the chrome trim on the lights. Completely makes the car look like ass, but like I said the old man in me wanted people to actually see me when I hit the brakes...so back on they went. But not before I went ahead and blacked out the chrome trim on the lights and the center section. It's not perfect, by any means but it actually makes having these things back on the car..."tolerable". Now, I just need to find a good set of 91 taillights, preferably with the black trim. Anybody looking for a set of smoked 91 taillights? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Also, is my irrational hatred of the 92 taillights shared by anyone else on here, or am I being a huge vagina about the whole thing?

BluFalcon

Got pics of the before, but ran out of daylight when I finished. Here's the before:

Yup, I will be there at the shootout tomorrow in the Galant. It might burst into flame when the sunlight hits it though. You bringing yours?

LIV4PSI

I hate 92 tail lights as well. All VR4s should have came with 91 tail lights, 92 grill and 93 headlights

ducttapeguy

Sweet. Ill see you there. Im not bringing mine since its down for a rebuild/restoration. Should be up and running this summer tho. Hit me up sometime tomorrow and we can link up. 3157771616

GSX_TC

Haha the ole which is better 91 or 92 tails discussion, personally I like the 91's, and I don't like the huge amber corners on the 92's and the previously mentioned chrome trim.

strokin4dr

Quoting LIV4PSI:
I hate 92 tail lights as well. All VR4s should have came with 91 tail lights, 92 grill and 93 headlights

+1

donkeylips

Totally depends on the car.

Besides the obvious fact that the '92s have the chrome on them, I think they just look better with the rest of the chrome on the car. This stock chrome scheme looks good on the lighter colors (grey and white).

I think '91s look best if all of the chrome trim is either painted or swapped out for black trim. And I think this looks best on the darker colored cars (black and green).

My personal favorite is belize green with blacked out trim, and '91 tails.

cheekychimp

I'd be interested in those smoked tails for the other car. Are you looking to swap for a stock non-smoked set?

5OF2k

I prefer te 92 tails, actually. If youre interested, my '91s are clean, and im sure we could work something out shipping-wise/whatever?? LMK!!

-Jake

citymunky

To me it depends on the color of the car. NB, BG, & KG all look better with 91 tails. SW look good with 92. The same goes for AMG corners vs JDM clear corners.

eviLntt

The guys in Malaysia really like the 92's because the VR4 logo is on them, the last set I saw on ebay went for more than $200.

turbowop

Everybody wants what they don't get. Too bad the Malaysians aren't interested in trading bumpers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

cheekychimp

I know a guy in Hong Kong who would trade an unmolested good condition USDM bumper for a JDM one. But I can't see shipping working out any cheaper for either party. The only way to cut costs is to find a whole load of stuff and ship a container full of it all.

BluFalcon

Here's the car at the FP Lonestar Shootout today with the 92 tails on it. Yes, I know I have two VR-4 badges showing on the rear, which won't be a problem once I get some 91's back on the car.

Number996

AHH HOW CAN YOU NOT LOVE HOW THAT LOOKS!!!???

I heart 92 tails (exp with front all amber corners) sloooge! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Last edited:

JCorbo25

I love my 92 tails, looks great on KG.

I do want to subdue the 'chrome' parts of the car though, maybe some plastidip.

fuel

91 tails over 92 for me! My ideal combo would be 91 tails with the amber portion made clear.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned