The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Build Thread of 580/1000

thecman02

Hey guys figured I'd start a build thread for 580 since she's always being tweaked or modified.

Story since shootout. The car was a basket case at shootout. I had just finished the fuel cell setup and installed the Magnafuel mp4303. I also installed Wops old twin disk, but I replaced the disks with the gear drive setup since their was some stress cracks in the old disks. I also installed boostx/energy rear bushings, Whiteline 26mm rear sway bar, Whiteline 22mm front sway bar, rear toe delete, 4 bolt lsd rear. It was 2am when I finished the car friday morning. I drove up with some friends in the morning. I felt bad holding them up so I didn't get the car aligned in town figuring I could do that in Ohio. Short story is all the shops were closed or booked so I couldn't get an alignment, and I didn't have the tools to eyeball the alignment in better myself. I was left with a ridiculously bad alignment for the weekend. Smoked a 4 bolt axle on my first launch on the drag strip. The traction seemed really killer in the beginning of the day. After I installed a new axle fueling issues cropped up. It would go lean as soon as I was in boost. I figured it was a fpr/vacuum line problem, but it all checked out fine. I ran out of time to diagnose the issue and had to take a DNF in the drag portion. It ended up being a clogged pre-filter issue. I didn't notice some lose foam particles in my new fuel cell during installation. That all got flushed out of the tank during the drive down to shoot out. Note to anyone doing a fuel cell, wash the new fuel cell out to remove any loose particles from the cell haha.

For daily driving duties I've been running around on 93 octane. I had a chance last fall to see how the car would do on my daily road tune. I made two passes for the day. First run I had a decent 1.7 launch. Nailed second. Third went in nicely and the car felt amazing. Went for fourth and missed. I don't know how the hell I missed fourth since I have never missed that gear in my life. Dumbfounded I through her in 5th and coasted through the traps. 12.6@100. Tried her again and ended up with a 12.1@118. It was frustrating because the 12.1 was with a garbage 1.9 60ft. I should have had an 11.8 no problem. I was thinking about running again, but it just seemed like a bad day at the track. A buddy of mine scattered his hx35 powered evo after he ran a 10.8, and my other buddy that was looking for low 9's scattered his car right off the line. I really didn't want to be the next one to blow apart my car.

This winter a buddy of mine just installed a Mustang Dyno and told me to come down to break it in. I was still running the 93 tune that I always run. I was expecting mid 300 to the wheel. To my dismay I put down 310hp/300ish ft/lbs of torque @27psi. I don't remember because in my heartbroken state of shock I chose not to print the sheet off or remember exactly what the numbers were lol. I was running a little low on gas and decided to throw some e85 and turn the rollers one more time. I couldn't find my e85 tune so I just made sure I got the global correct and made another pull. Surprisingly I made 10% more hp and torque in the entire pull from 3-7k. I still wasn't thrilled with the numbers however. The torque fell off hard past 5k. I think part of that had to do with the recirculating 02 housing I was running. I'm sure I would have made big gains by dumping, but I never got that far.

Fast foward to late winter/early spring and a buddy of mine was selling a twinscroll turbine housing for my turbo...

I'm going to take a break from writing, but I shall load lots of pictures and hopefully some videos of the changes I've done to the girl up to date.

pot

Staff member
That's a great story, I really enjoyed reading it. A few days ago I was browsing the "Members' Showcase" and read your post there too and thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I look forward to future updates on this bad machine.

Last edited:

GSX_TC

cant wait to see these pics of this car, will you be attending the shootout again this year?

thecman02

Yeah. I'll be at shoot out and hopefully this year I won't get beat by Summit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. It might be a day or two before I continue the story and post up media since I have finals week at school.

GSX_TC

Sweet, what hotel are you gonna be staying at?

thecman02

I've been staying at the Days Inn, but I think I might be staying somewhere else. Not sure though. I'm a major procrastinator when it comes to getting that stuff figured out.

As far as getting beat by Leon I think this video sums it up. click

GSX_TC

You might wanna book a room in advance because most of them are already booked on those days. The All American Inn still has rooms available for the shootout days (aug 16-18) if you wanna book a room or two, their number is (419) 663-1922 And the address is 415 Milan Ave
Norwalk OH, this is where I'm booked as well.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
And tell them Mike sent you... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

GSX_TC

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I can't do anything for hotel pricing man lol.

MellowVR4

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifsounds pretty good so far

thecman02

Setup Change cont.

So a buddy of mine had a 1.00 Twin Scroll T4 Turbine housing for my turbo. He said it was a bolt on affair so it was more motivation for me to step out of my .55 bolt on setup. I bought the turbine housing and the slick Treadstone Cast T4 Twinscroll collector he had. I started pulling off the old setup from the car. I was thinking about a nice top mount setup similar to the JMF kit. I realized on my car that it would take quite a bit of work. I ended up settling on a foward facing setup. The turbine housing I bought from my friend ended up being to small. I had a less common larger turbine housing being a 74mm. I had to machine out the housing a little bit to make it work. With the turbo assembled I had my good buddy fab up the exhaust manifold. I ended up using 304 1.5 sch10 tubing. I was really looking into 321, but it was easily 2x cost for the parts I could find and most of the tubing had a decent wait to obtain the stuff. The head flange actually came from AMS performance. They were selling waterjet half inch stainless flanges for a heck of a price. The nice thing is the flange is the same shape as the port throughout instead of the adapter flanges made for tubular exhaust manifolds. I disliked the transition most of those flanges had.

While I had my buddy fabbing the manifold I took the time to delete the ABS pump and lines out of the front of the car. I can only say it was a miraculous weight savings and pictures and weight numbers in forums mean nothing until your face to face with that beast. I ended up cutting off some of the front of my car and fabbing some tubes for additional weight savings and space for my manifold setup.

My engine bay is still awful disgusting/embarassing so please to rip on me too hard. This car gets daily driven so I haven't had the time to clean her up really. I'm trying to save up for a Magnus Cast intake manifold and at that time I'm going to change my intercooler setup and piping too, although those plans keep getting shifted back. My rack and pinion decided to finally give up the ghost so I had to order a reman. Lets just say those aren't as cheap as I was hoping they would be. It'll be nice to have a fresh rack though. I plan on doing the steering pump mod too so I can have more steering assist at high rpm.

thecman02

Some quick results of the setup is around 100whp at the same boost level. I know not all of that is from the manifold and turbine housing though. I have an external dump now. I suspect my old punishment recirculating 02 housing was also choking me some too. The surprising thing is that my car spools as fast as it did with the bolt on housing and it recovers faster when shifting and what not. I can hit 35 psi by 4400rpm in third gear. This thing is an absolute monster. I need to get it back on the dyno since I've had time to build a good VE table. I'll try and post some screen shots of my logs. At 25 psi of boost I'm getting 1.5-1.6 70-90's. I should have no problems with deep 11's and maybe 10's with the boost cranking although I'll have to wait until shoot out for that since I'm missing a roll cage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif .

GSX_TC

These forward facing setups are starting to grow on me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thecman02

I really happy that 580 treated me well this weekend. The previous weekend someone busted into the Galant to steal my tuning laptop and radio.
Luckily I found a replacement window in a junkyard as well as a cheap radio to keep me entertained on the drive to shootout. I was going to spend some time last week dyno tuning the Galant, but between the car break in and helping my friend rebuild his engine a few days before shootout I just had to settle with my street/daily tune.

The car performed very admirable in the autocross. I meant to increase my camber the morning of the autocross, but didn't remember until it was time for me to run. The hotbits really made the car come alive vs last year. I'm not sure what the official results of the autocross were but I was one of the faster guys running street tires. I believe the Tim and the One Lap car beat me by roughly a second. I don't feel too bad considering I hadn't done anything remotely driving the car hard since last shootout.

My anxiety was quite high once I staged for the drag racing portion. Last year on the first launch my axle decided to give me the big middle finger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Another monkey I had on my back was the fact that I hadn't put down a pass faster then 12.0. Luckily on the first run I launched fairly well. 1.73 60' and ended up with a 11.6 @124. I was extremely relieved at least I had a time in the books so I could be scored this year. During the pass the car seemed to shift better then it ever has which was also a great feeling.

The second round of drags I was staged against my favorite Galant. The one lap car was staged in the left lane. I was excited to be racing against it. As I was signaled to roll up to the line another track crewman told me to hold. They saw a little oil spot they wanted to clean up. They wiped it up and sprayed down some VHT. I finally was staged next to Tim. Both yellows are up and I put her on the antilag. Bouncing at 4500rpm and 20psi it seemed like an eternity. I get off the anti lag for about half a second and then get back on it. The tree counts down and Tim is off and running. My decision to get off the two step and the added traction of the vht meant an extremely bad bog off the line. 2.4 seconds for me to travel the first 60'. Once I got into second I started reeling the Galant in. Third gear brought me door to door and fourth snuck me about a car length ahead. That was a pretty fun run. The bad 60' destroyed the et for that run adding over a second to the run. The last run I wanted to make sure I had a better launch. I aired down the tires and kept in the antilag. I ripped a very low 1.7 and nailed all my shifts for a respectable 11.4 @ 125. Some friend said I ended up having the best 1/4 for DSM Max Effort. I was more then pleased since I was on "Low Boost."

Last edited:

thecman02

Here's a link to some of the shootout coverage. Get the November issue of DSPORT magazine! The Max Effort class, which involves combining a competitor’s quickest autocross time and quarter-mile time, has grown noticeably since David Buschur introduced it to the Shootout. The field had grown so much that the DSMs and the EVOs had their own respective divisions. There were 18 DSMs and 20 EVOs competing in Max Effort, not including the dozens of autocross competitors shredding rubber and dodging cones. For the DSM group, Chris Mowell captured the top honors in his 1992 Galant VR-4 with a 32.18-second lap on the course and an 11.422-second slip on the strip.

click

GSX_TC

Yeah I saw that, good job Chris, Galant VR4's did good this year, finally they got more coverage then simply 2 pages.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts