The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Guess I'm offically old - need exhaust advice.

tsitalon1

Hey guys,

I never thought that the guy that once had a 500+ hp eclipse would grow old and prefer a quieter car! I still love my GVR4 and it's still me DD though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I currently have what I believe to be one of the quietest setups, but please let me know if I am wrong.

My setup includes a 3" setup from turbo to tip. The ebay downpipe has a 2.5" flange for the o2 housing (stock ported housing). I have a mil.spec cat and a large magnaflow muffler. I believe it's 21" or so...haven't measured it in awhile.

Not only do I experience droning on decel, but I'm finding overall cruising and part throttle to be a little much for me.

I know, I know....I'm turning into an old fart /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Do any of you know if an OEM muffler from another brand would fit and support a Evo316g turbo at 20-25psi?

My goal is to make it as quiet as possible while maintaining my current power levels.

DynastyLCD

add resonators like the One Lap GVR4 guys did?

MellowVR4

Ive been thinking if you put like a muffler from a truck with a 3", would it cause loss of power? i kinda wanna have a quiet exhaust aswell but with out the loss of power. So quiet that all you pretty much here is the turbo spool /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

4Grim

Quoting DynastyLCD:

I have 2 3" high flow resonators on my exhaust..mine is 3" from turbo the muffler.

1st resonator is where the stock Cat would be and the 2nd one is near where the rear diff is at. Made a big difference adding those 2 resonators in exhaust noise...but didn't notice any "power loss" adding either.

turbowop

If you wanna make some power it's gonna have to make some noise. I don't think it's possible to have a stock sounding (ultra quiet) 4g63 without corking it up more than you'd want. Even the exhaust I put on the Audi makes a bit of noise, and the car isn't exactly fast. Removing the cat made the biggest difference.

CutlassJim

Quoting 4Grim:
Quoting DynastyLCD:

I have 2 3" high flow resonators on my exhaust..mine is 3" from turbo the muffler.

1st resonator is where the stock Cat would be and the 2nd one is near where the rear diff is at. Made a big difference adding those 2 resonators in exhaust noise...but didn't notice any "power loss" adding either.

I have the exact same setup and it has no drone at all.

James

Hm I would what an exhaust make of all resonators would sound like /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

MellowVR4

ive gotten some from ebay once, and they where ok. No complaints

prove_it

Don't get louvered core resonators. They kill flow and don't help. Generally the cheapos have louvered core. I good quality one will quiet it a lot.

Drew84

I ended up putting a vibrant resonator on my Talon, that helped a bit. I think it would need at least another one to be really quite. You're not alone. As a 20 year old kid I could have cared less. Loud exhaust, no cats, F YEAH. Now I'm getting into my 30s. Screw it, I don't want the police bothering me, I don't want to deal with the drone on the highway. Priorities do change.

tsitalon1

Yeah, I'm almost 40, so priorities do change (for me anyway) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When shopping for resonators online, how can I tell which ones are louvered?

Are these ideal, or is there something better?

click

prove_it

Feature Vibrant's "True Straight Through" perforated core,

follow the link, quote from that page. Perforated is what you want.

matt92vr4

I'm with ya. I used to run open dp without thinking twice. Now its embarising. I threw my exhaust in the thrash the other night and drove home 40 miles. I was so glad to get home and I have not started the car since.

I just ordered all of my pipe and I have the 3" vibrant oval muffler. I hope this will be quiet enough.

SleepinGVR4

I just got a vibrant 3" O.D. and 18" long resonator for my car. My car has a megan racing dp with a full 3" to a magnaflow muffler now.

Its getting put on the car on friday. I can take some before and after video if you like.

CutlassJim

Quoting tsitalon1:
Ok, any recommended brand or just any 3" resonators? Also, does resonator length play a role?

I ended up making my own and made them as long as would fit. ibrant makes good stuff. Anything ss should be good though.

tsitalon1

Quoting SleepinGVR4:
I just got a vibrant 3" O.D. and 18" long resonator for my car. My car has a megan racing dp with a full 3" to a magnaflow muffler now.

Its getting put on the car on friday. I can take some before and after video if you like.

If you don't mind, that would be great!!

I don't mind buying it, just want to make sure it works!

Last edited:

prove_it

Oh, and don't feel bad. I'm going on 29 and I'm tired of a loud exhaust. Ran open downpipe many times, or open header on my civic. I've had side exit exhausts, straight pipe, etc etc etc.

Now I want less that 88db. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned