The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bone rattleing vibration

mrbonnell

I'm am so sick of my car being broken. And this is than part where you tell me I own a GVR4 so get used to it. I should realize this by now but if only for one month I could go with out problems I might be happy lol

OK to the point. Accelerating on to the highway today I reached about 75 then accelerated to 80 to get around a car, while at 80 I then heard something fly out from underneath my car. After this my car suddenly my started to virbrate so bad I thought I blew my engine. Pulling off to the side of the road franticly looking to find oil or trans fluid everywhere there was nothing. I checked all around the car and underneath the hood and found nothing unusual. I got back in my car and started it without problems. The vibrations are worst around 25mph in second gear. Vibrating all the way home I havent a clue to what could be making this happen. Any I ideas suggestions or past experiences would help.

rdomeck

If it doesn't do it sitting still it sounds like you have a tire seriously out of balance. What you heard could have been a wheel weight flying off. I would start with having your tires balanced and see what they tell you. It sounds like something more serious, but it is hard to judge what someones definition of bone rattling might be!

Also check to make sure your wheels are tight!

mrbonnell

Yeah I thought about it being a tire too. But would a little wheel weight make that bad of a vibration at 25mph. I mean this is a vibration so bad I scared me. I checked for missing wheel weights while on the highway but I'll check again. Maybe I missed one.

Last edited:

turbowop

A slipped tire belt can cause a nasty shimmy at low speeds, but I'm guessing you lost something like a u-joint c-clip if you heard something come off the car. I would look at driveshaft and axles first.

5OF2k

Definitely check your driveshaft, sounds like you may have exploded a carrier bushing or something like that.

Have you recently done any work to the drivetrain?

-Jake

mrbonnell

Drive train is still stock. No work done. Do c-clips and u joints come off often or do they slip of when worn?

Last edited:

EHmotorsports

I will agree with everyone here. And say,it looks like you will have to get the car in the air and check out everything. Wouldn't hurt to check all suspention points and just give it an inspection to find other issues that could cause future problems.

mrbonnell

I def agree with you. Thanks for the input I'll keep everyone posted and updated. payday is next thursday so I'm sure I'll be dropping some cash soon.

Not to get away from the technical portion of this thread but EHmotorsports you wouldn't happen to be from Beaverton MI would you?

Last edited:

mrbonnell

Okay upon further research I have found out that when diff rings and pinons and or carrier bearings tend to make a growling or in this articles case a howling pulsating sound. Remembering back before my incedent I remember hearing this noise. I have a feeling that this will have something to do with my carrier bearing being that I heard something break off of my car. Its going to the shop next Friday so I will know exactly what then. Thanks for the help guys I feel I may have narrowed my list on what it may be.

Sorry for the blabbing I'm bored at work.

theevozero

I have seen the bellhousing bolts back out before and cause crazy vibration, but that is not dependent on speed. You're probably on the right track.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned