The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

turbo question

Steve885

hey guys i just bought 885. seems to be a bit of a mess..like the stock boost celinoid vac line is is plumed into the intake pipe with jb weld and the other end of it is hanging free not hooked to anything..weird, the question im trying to get answered is, there is a vac line from the wastegate to the intake manifold(is this normal) about 18 inches of hose.no boost controller just a 11psi spring in the wastegate.. it was suggested i tap the turbo and create a vac line to the wastegate with the boost control in between...any advise

LIV4PSI

The vacuum line shouldn't be going to the intake, as it doesn't see positive pressure. There should be a pressure source on the J pipe coming from the turbo you can use. Post up some pics.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting liv4psi:
The vacuum line shouldn't be going to the intake, as it doesn't see positive pressure.

Wat? What vacuum line shouldn't be going to the intake (pipe or manifold)?

OP,

The BCS is supposed to be plumbed into the intake pipe as you have described. The loose end should be T'd into the boost signal line for the waste gate actuator. It's purpose being when activated by the ECU, it bleeds pressure back into the intake tract, causing the actuator to loose boost pressure, allowing the waste gate to open and limit boost.

The line going from the waste gate to the intake manifold should be moved. The waste gate just needs to see pressure somewhere in the intake tract after the compressor but before the throttle body. When installing your boost controller, T into this line. I wouldnt recommend "tapping the turbo" for any reason. You should be able to use the nipple that comes on the factory J-pipe. If you do need to put a nipple somewhere though, remove one of your upper intercooler pipes and put one there.

Take a look at this vacuum diagram for a visual of what I just described.

31304-0-0-0.jpg

ktmrider

^^ No LIV4 is correct altho he should have stated, "The BCS/WG source shouldn't be going to the Intake Manifold". WG diaphram does not like seeing vacuum, will eventually damage it. Note in your diagram the BCS and WG circuit never goes to a vacuum source, only pressure.

BOV/BPV is definitely on the Intake Manifold, needs vacuum to open.

GSTwithPSI

Quoting LIV4PSI:
The vacuum line shouldn't be going to the intake, as it doesn't see positive pressure.

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
Wat? What vacuum line shouldn't be going to the intake (pipe or manifold)?

Quoting ktmrider :
No LIV4 is correct altho he should have stated, "The BCS/WG source shouldn't be going to the Intake Manifold".

Well if that was the case then he would be correct, but that's not what he said. I was just poking fun initially, but seriously, there's no way a person that's already confused about vacuum routing can take anything away from that answer. The answer he gave was too vague to make sense /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Quoting liv4psi:
WG diaphram does not like seeing vacuum, will eventually damage it. Note in your diagram the BCS and WG circuit never goes to a vacuum source, only pressure.

Correct. Meaning, OP, hook up your BCS and waste gate exactly like I said (and the diagram shows).

Last edited:

Steve885

Does the BCS apply when u have a modified set up or is it for stock purpose only. If not should I by pass it ..

GSTwithPSI

You won't need the BCS anymore from what I can see under the hood. With a link setup, you can use the ECU to activate it under certain parameters.

Steve885

Ok thanks..so if I have no positive outlet on the turbo or charge IC pipe where would I go with the wastgate vac line if it shouldn't be on the intake manifold

GSTwithPSI

The waste gate just needs to see pressure somewhere in the intake tract after the compressor but before the throttle body. Meaning somewhere in your upper intercooler pipe or J-pipe. If you don't have a fitting or nipple, remove the IC pipe, tap it, and install a NPT barb fitting. I guess you could remove the compressor cover and install a fitting there, but it would be way more work.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned