The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fortune auto coilovers for VR4

calcaliente

Hey guys I just spoke with fortune auto in Va and they said they would create some Vr4 specific coilovers for the same price as their 500 series. All they need is a pair of stock galant suspension and they will make them. Problem is I have Evo suspension on mine and it would be greatly appreciated if some one could send in an old set or let me borrow them (ill pay for shipping) or just send them straight there. I think this would be great for the community.

Fortune Auto North America Inc.
1555 Standing Ridge Dr
Suite D-1
Powhatan, VA 23139

www.fortune-auto.net
www.mullersuspension.com
Toll Free: 877.227.0260

5OF2k

Nice! Might want to doublecheck the second link though, sir. All it is is some chick holding a backpack, smiling cheesily...lol.

I dont have a stock set, at least not a spare one. It would definitely be cool to have another option as far as full-bodied coil-overs go though, definitely. What do you think the odds of a group-buy would be?

-Jake

calcaliente

Um I'll check the link!! But I'll email him and see. But first we got to get some interest going you know? Maybe give them some incentive.

blacksheep

JBAutosports is an authorized FA vendor. I know Terry pretty well...So, is he saying he will male the V4 500 series coilovers for the gvr4?

calcaliente

Yes if we mail him a pair of stock ones he will make the adjustments and have it so we no longer have to weld up Evo struts to make them work. And he will sell them at the same price as the 500 series.

citymunky

hmmm

SleepinGVR4

Hopefully these coil overs are superior to the megan racing, k-sport, and other similar coil overs.

I see that they are already made for the CD9A/CE9A EVO, aren't our suspensions exactly the same minus the spring rates?

Last edited:

citymunky

I know alot of EVO guys use them.

Last edited:

calcaliente

They are made in MURICA

I was going to buy the other brands but they are all made in Taiwan and china so I was like screw that and gave FA a call.

citymunky

I like how they explain everything: http://www.fortune-auto.com/shocktech.htm

Fortune%20Auto%20Shock%20Dyno.jpg

Last edited:

G

Staff member
They are assembled in the us but the components are not made in the us.

ApexHunter

^^^^^ This

and this Quoting turbowop:
Is FA stuff the same as all the other Korean/Chinese coilovers? Or are they actually worth a damn?

Having a service center and ability to rebuild/modify is a good move in this segment, i'll give them that. But cheap coilovers are still cheap coilovers. BC and K-Sport already offer essentially the same products as FA from what i can tell, but they (FA) obviously has more control over the end product and have a neat twist on it.

Penske, Ohlins, AST and the like don't sell shocks for $500+ each because they feel like selling less of them. If they could offer that kind of quality and performance at half the price, maybe they would, and it'd be game over.

And not to be pessimistic or anything...this could turn out to be the best GVR4 specific coilover option currently on the new parts market. Just saying though.

Last edited:

blacksheep

What FA does is build and valve the dampers and match to spring rates. Is it better than other like Megan etc...Slightly. Customer service is a ton better. Are they comparable to Ohlins - hell no! Now, Terry did tell me the FA510's will compare to the KW V3's just fine.

blacksheep

s2000 guys love them and those owners are picky as can be. I would say if they built a set for the 1200 price. It would be comparable to the Tein HA's maybe...

MellowVR4

Defently keep everyone posted on this brand.

blacksheep

Quoting blacksheep:
s2000 guys love them and those owners are picky as can be. I would say if they built a set for the 1200 price. It would be comparable to the Tein HA's maybe...

The biggest thing is spring rates....This will make all the difference between soft and harsh. Before we go have them replicate a set, we should have to identify exactly what spring rate we wouldl like so the damper is valved appropriately.

Another thing about FA - The FA500 at stock height are always about an 1 to 1.25" lower than stock - seen this on Evo, STi and S2000.

The Megans tracks for Evo come with 12k/10k, I believe. GTWork always suggested running 2 diff options on the Evo - either the same rate all around with a larger RSB or a softer swaybar with a higher spring rate in the rear.

I have no idea what mueller is running on the Ohlins and they are asshats who refuse to share. Before someone starts to argue - let me explain - I bought a set of muellerized JIC's used for my Evo. I signed the NDA, had previous owner call and even verify I purchased from them and they still would not tell me. I kept calling and they said they would get back to me. F them!

EMX5636

I might be interested in a set of these. I blew a front K-Sport about a month back, and a buddy of mine likes these FA's on his EVO so I would probably give them a shot instead of rebuilding mine.

boostedinaz

What are these coilovers going to be used for? That, IMO, would dictate if they are worth a sh*t or not.

As a low end "street" coilover I'm sure they are just as good as all the other crap currently available. as a track coilover I doubt they are worth it. Just because a group of people buy something doesn't make them "good" or "better" than any other product.

If they are intended for the street it would be nice to have street friendly spring rates and dampening. Really bugs when people have a "street" car that rides like ass because the spring rates are crazy high, but yo it looks siqqq right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

blacksheep

Michael - Agree. 90% of my customers would buy them for looks and some track use (minimal). Track whores would always start with KW V3 pricing. I think for a gvr4, 95% would get it for street or JSB use... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif The only reason I would go FA is for re-builds vs buddy club, megans, ksport etc. They will generally respond fast and take care of customers. To do the gvr4 with them will take some time and effort...Like I said before spring rate is key. I don't remember what people suggested for the gvr4.

Does anyone remember what the Tein HA rates are or JIC for the 1G? Ours will probably have to be slightly higher given weight of our cars!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts