The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Exhaust Smell Inside cabin

WaRrIoRs16

I am having some issues with my 91 galant. Its smelling like exhaust through the vents when I stop the car at a light or just idle. I just put in a rebuilt long block and I had to make my entire exhaust from the turbo to the muffler. I can't tell if/where the exhaust is leaking from and I have read some threads about people using seafoam to determine the location of the leak. Well, I only have 300 miles on my motor, will it be okay for me to try and use some seafoam at this point?

Also, where on the car is the outside air sucked into the HVAC system?

turbowop

It sucks fresh air in through the cowl vents. This is why you should never remove the rear hood seal or raise the rear of the hood with washers in an attempt to vent heat...which doesnt work anyway. Or go ahead, if you enjoy engine bay smells. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Do you have any holes in the firewall from running wires? Even opening up the existing grommets for speedo cable and such will allow engine smells into the cabin.

Last edited:

WaRrIoRs16

I will have to check out the rear hood seal and see if its in good shape or not. I do have that gromet removed and its stuffed with cables and whatnot. However, the smell is coming through the vents for sure. When I stop at a light, I just turn the heater off.

AnotherNewb

Have someone plug the tail pipe while the car is running. You'll be able to hear a hissing if there is a leak. I wouldn't sea foam it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned