The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Starter removal vr4

supersedan63

How's it going. I'm trying to replace my starter but I'm hitting a wall. After reading many topics, I received different info such as what is needed to be removed. Then someone will respond to that saying nothing need to be removed. Also the number of bolts holding it on. I've heard 1 and I've heard 2. I've already determined the location just need help with the next step... Removal

rdomeck

Pick up a Chiltons manual or better yet a factory manual. This is a pretty easy job. Disconnect battery, disconnect wires on starter and pull two bolts!

James

Two bolts, what you need to remove is relevant to how nimble you are with your hands.

My hands are not large and are quite flexable so usually don't remove anything.

turbowop

They're 14mm. Loosen them and finagle the starter out from its home. Then remove the wiring to completely remove it. It's not bad on a stock car. I think it's a bit more difficult when a SMIM is involved.

supersedan63

Well I finally got it. I was looking at it wrong but that's besides the point. I have a new issue now. Yesterday I replaced the alternator starter and put a charged battery in and te car won't start... Any ideas?

supersedan63

Quoting OMFGeofffff:
Are you getting power? Is it cranking?

I'm getting full power. When I turn te key it makes an odd sound. Kind of like a hum or a draining sound. I was thinking maybe its the safety switch. I'm going to mess with it after work.

MellowVR4

it usually takes me about 10 mins to change it out on a stock motor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned