The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aftermarket downpipe options

matt92vr4

Hi guys, I'm looking to upgrade my full exhaust soon. I would like to purchase a decent down pipe, keep my gutted cat, and then make a cutback. The car has a s16g and I have no plans to ever go bigger than a Evo3 16g. what is.a.good downpipe option? 2g awd? Thank you very much for your help.

5OF2k

Both 1g and 2g AWD will work, the only difference is the 2g DP is slightly longer. If you plan to keep the catback you have now, you should replace it with a similar DP to whats on your car. If its a stock DP, the 1g AWD should be a direct bolt on.

If you have or plan to use an EVOiii o2 housing, youll have to modify the downpipe a bit, because the EVOiii o2 housing has a slightly different flange angle than the factory units.

Hope that helps!

-Jake

DynastyLCD

FYI, you can find 3" downpipes on ebay that are identical to the $150 megan ones, minus the label, for around $70 shipped. search eclipse gsx and look through the exhaust part.

bam... 3" $70 downpipe

tyeler18

I'd be careful with no name (or megan) downpipes. The flexpipe is some cheap junk that can* shrink and clog the exhaust flow. Just something to note when looking for a new one. Although for $70 just buy a nice flexpipe and have it welded on.

raptorWagon

The megan piece is longer because it deletes the cat, also you do not need to modify anything to suit the use of the Evo3 o2 Housing.

turbofonz

I'm running a 2g AWD megan downpipe to my CM 3" catback. The downpipe mated up fine, but the flange had to be rewelded at a different offset.

PJGross

The Megan 2g pipe I received was fantastic quality. That was 5+ years ago, though. Very thick flange, excellent welds, flex section, hangers, mirror finish, etc. Not sure what they ship now.

-PJ

5OF2k

News to me.... click

I also ran into a similar situation and had to modify my DP for it to work as it should. Could i have left it hitting the Tcase? Sure. But why?

Also looking for a link to the thread that specified the differences in DPs for the 1g/2g. Will edit if/when i find it.

raptorWagon

I know it's angled differently, just speaking my experience and it didn't hit the tcase on 1350. A couple previous owners before me installed the downpipe, which I believe to have been a 1g 3" downpipe, I installed a evo3 o2 with no issue of it hitting the tcase.

Vr4junkie

You should check your local Muffler Shops and see how much it would be to just make one and if anything happens cracks ect ect you have someone to go back to . Plus its ebay so who knows how the quality is I bought plenty of stuff off ebay and quality sucks I would call every muffler shop and ask for a quote and have something done of quality you might just pay a few bucks more.

Last edited:

DynastyLCD

i know all you guys are concerned about quality, which you should be, i dont disagree with that. but id rather have name brand parts elsewhere.

for what its worth, my Megan downpipe lasted for years, i got rid of it for a $70 ebay downpipe because i bottomed out and tore the flex pipe open. the ebay one has been great so far, no issues and no leaks.

turbowop

None of my local "muffler" shops do quality welding. Ugly splattered mig welds is all I can get. I had to drive 2.5hrs to Seattle to have Andre at PINA modify my exhaust back when I installed the shorter JDM rear bumper.

matt92vr4

Thank for the replies. I'm perfectly happy to eliminate the cat if the dp is long enough. I can't use a local shop either.

Vr4junkie

Hey if you do go with the ebay DP take some pictures I would like to check it out i might just get one if its as good as Dynastylcd say it is.

matt92vr4

I'll probably try out the eBay dp. I will take pics and give feedback.

matt92vr4

I received the EBAY downpipe yesterday. $69.95 shipped. Comes with gaskets and bolts. Everything looks good.

One thing I learned about Chinese tig welding when I worked at the shop was they generally do not penetrate all the way through. This holds true for this piece. The shop across the street from my old shop made exhaust manifolds for Nascar. When they welded, they would fill the inside of the tube with gas while they welded the outside to make sure the weld went all the way through.

Anyways, for $69.95 shipped with hardware and gaskets I'm happy. I don't know if it fits yet. I'll keep you updated.

matt92vr4

Update on the downpipe. I installed it last night at the dragstrip in between runs. It fit perfectly. Used the stock hanger and bolt. Did not rub the xcase.

After adding the downpipe I gained 5mph trap speed and went from a [email protected] to a [email protected].

desant78

Hate to be so lazy, but I'd rather not order the wrong one, so could you post a link to where you bought this downpipe?

thanks!

matt92vr4

Here is a current link although I'm sure it will expire in the future. I don't know how else to point you in the right direction.

Ebay DP

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned