The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

starter issues

Okayplayer

Ok, so my starter took a crap because the rear engine mount bolt worked its way out and jacked up the solenoid. I replaced it and now the car won't crank. Everything is hooked up properly and the battery is reconnected. Is there something simple that would cause this issue?

Lancer99

Did you just replaced the solenoid or solenoid and the starter? In theory it should start but if the bolt shorted out something then you have to hunt it down.

Okayplayer

Ok, so I had to get a used starter from the junkyard. I pulled the starter off a 95 Sonata. I can here the starter whirring and it sounds like the teeth are scraping against the flywheel, but not engaging and turning the motor over. From the part number searching I've done, 4g63 6-bolts use the same starter. Could it be that the flywheel teeth are too worn to engage with the starter?

Its possible and does happen. Are you sure you have the right starter? Not from and auto or something? Its pretty easy to see if the teeth are screwed on the flywheel. Check that first, after that I would suspect the wrong starter and reason being the teeth are not offset properly

89Mirageman

Auto-Manual starters are different. Was the Sonata an auto?

Edit, ^ beat me to it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Last edited:

Okayplayer

That may be it. The car was an auto... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif but it does seem like the solenoid isn't engaging though it worked fine when I bench checked it with a battery. But I digress. I will go pick up the proper starter.

Okayplayer

Ok so I went back to the yard and grabbed a starter off a car with a manual. I saw there was a difference between the two. So I was certain that this was going to work. I got it installed and the car turned over slowly a few times and then began doing the same thing it was doing in the first place. Is this issue caused by the starter relay going bad? Or is it that my flywheel is too messed up and the gear from the starter can't mesh with the worn down teeth on the flywheel?

rdomeck

Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Run a jumper wire from the smaller signal wire, make sure your out of gear, touch that wire to the positive lead of your battery. This will eliminate any wiring in the car minus the battery cables. If that works you'll have some investigation to do with a wiring diagram!

If it doesn't, make sure your battery cables and battery are in good condition. If they are your down to the starter. I have had starters work on the bench, but once they are under load in the car they are not strong enough to turn the engine over.

Good luck.

Okayplayer

Thanks, I will give that a shot in the morning. I hope it is just something simple like the starter and just exchange the one I have. I would think that the flywheel is designed in a way that the teeth from the starter gear and the flywheel mesh completely instead of just the tips, so that the worn teeth on the flywheel would not be an issue unless they are completely missing.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned