The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WOT wastegate

Yao

Hello all, I've been very active on tuning the car with Speed Density and unleashing more power then ever /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I've seem to hit a wall and wanted to see what you all think.

boosting 22psi on FP18g timing at 6 with 91oct, Zero knock with A/R at 11.5:1 all the way to 6k rpm. Right after 6k, the boost would dropped to 8psi and I run pig rich at 9.02:1.

Do you think it is possible to pushing enough exhaust to blow the waste gate wide open? or do you think it is the BOV that is blowing wide open? I've pressure tested the intake to 40psi and my BOV leaks a little but didn't seem to go wide open, so I am thinking it's the internal waste gate. What do you all think?

TomN

Is the bov recirculated?

Add washers to the watstegate and see if that does anything.

JNR

Have you tested the WG actuator with a vacuum/pressure pump, to see how it behaves? Probably wouldn't hurt to test your BOV, also, but sounds like you did a pressure test on the tubing (IC) to 40 psi and take it that held the pressure for the most part (you said it was leaking a little there, which isn't surprising if it's a stocker, etc.); does it leak there via gasket or the diaphragm, just wondering...

Yao

BOV is not recirculated and yes I need to see if I can add washer or just wire the waste gate shut and see what she does. My BOV is piston type, so it leaks around the piston. Need to try it tomorrow if I have time, yeah, and it would only happen on top of 3rd gear, so it's like 95+ mph when I slam into a wall. what about spark blow out? (back up theory) I am running BPR8ES with arc2 and NGK wires gaped at .32

TomN

Gap them at .020-.022

I would also consider changing to BR8ES.

Last edited:

Yao

K, I'll do the .22 and didn't have time to look into waste gate today.

OldHairyBastard

Use BPR7ES plugs if you only running 22psi. You don't need 8's till you get to around 30 PSI.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned