The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

no boost

Hey guys, Well I recently purchased a galant vr4 1161/2000. I noticed that there was a slight rattling/whinning noise coming from the front end close to the driverside area. I didn't think much of it and though it could possible be the exhaust or heat sheild making the noise. After driving the car for a few days, the engine seemed to have lost all boost. It's slow to accelarate and usually at 3k you would normally feel the boost but now there is nothing. It feels like your driving something non-turbo. Additonally, the loud whinning/rattling noise has gotten louder since then and something seems loose or out of place.

I've checked the upper I/C pipes but there all secured with no rips or cracks, the turbo has some slight shaft play.

I still need to take the bumper off and take a closer look at the lower I/C piping to see if theres any damage to them.

If anyone has any helpful ideas or possible solutions that would be great.

Last edited:

James

Did you try spinning the turbo fins when checking for shaft play? Could be binding up. Fins could be damaged.

I did check the fins, It was spinning freely,it was not hard to spin. The blades didn't look to be damaged.

I did read something that stated that if the BCS is not used, it could possibly cause too much boost pressure and the turbo can go bad.
Now I know that the BES on my car is not connected and the car does not have a manual boost controller.

I know the wastegate is suppose to have a holes running from it to the BCS but on the BES one of the Nipple part of it is broken off and there is only one left that the holes can plug into.
(As of now the wastegate has the holes running up to the throttle body. (Can someone tell me if that is suppose to be routed that way?)

LIV4PSI

The wastegate line should be ran to any pressure source if there is not any bcs or mbc hooked up. This causes the car to run on the spring pressure, which is lower than stock boost. There is a nipple on the stock J pipe I believe, and it is what most people use.

Sounds like your car has what my friends and I refer to as "DSM herpes." A lot of things are probably wrong or hacked. I would go over your entire vacuum system, and learn how to do a proper boost leak test. I highly doubt you have a singular problem.

James

Getting rid of the BSC is fine. I run my vac from the Wastegate nipple to my Jpipe nipple. Stock wastegate boost is 9-10lbs

Thanks guys, I will run the wastegate line to the jpipe.

And I guess I will start off by getting a boost leak done.

LIV4PSI -- Are there anything specific you would recommend for me to look over?

James

The boost leak test will tell you where to start. Start with the leak laser to the turbo a d work your way through the intake system up to the I take manifold and anything in between.

LIV4PSI

Quoting Mister1161:
LIV4PSI -- Are there anything specific you would recommend for me to look over?

I agree with a boost leak test. I usually go through the entire vacuum system when I get a new car. Making sure everything is routed correctly and nothing is dry rotted. I zip tie all the connections as well. It seems like some DSM owners are allergic to vacuum caps, so I fix all the lines with bolts and screws stuck in the end.

James

Excuse all my typos haha, I was walking and typing without looking at my phone.

1)build/buy tester
2) start with leak closest to the turbo
3) fix all leaks in order From intake->intake manifold

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned