The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

have a question about this Galant i found for cheap.

GSX_TC

this dude only wants like 800 bucks for this non turbo, fwd automatic Galant that has working a/c and runs and drives fine. my question is the plate says there should be a 4G63 in it, but it appears to be a single cam like the ones that cam in the 1g DSM's, which i believe was a 4G37 or something like that. anyways, what do yall guys think, did this engine come in Galant's like this? or is something shady going on here. also under the hood it claims the motor is a 2.0 liter.

its a 92 Galant LS, automatic, sunroof, A/c power steering and only had like 140, 000 miles.

IMG_4415.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

IMG_4418.jpg

IMG_4419.jpg

4Grim

There were sohc 4g63s and that looks like one.

maroonmetallic

Well the grille & drivers headlight dont line up properly looking at the picture.

But that is a 4g63 (2.0L SOHC engine.
If I'm not mistaken, the valve cover for that, the 1.8L DSM (4g37) and the 2.4L expo are all interchangable.
If they are not, they are very similar to each other (valve cover anyways).

Id question the front pieces being misaligned but I know those get 30-35 mpg on the highway doing 75.

Also, that's what a 92 grille looks like.
See the difference? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Shawn

BluFalcon

Wow, that car looks exactly like the one I drove for awhile before I picked up my 97 Spyder for a daily driver. SOHC 4G63. For the record, I got a best of 27mpg in mine with a 35 mile one way, mostly highway commute. But then again, I averaged 70-80 mph while driving it and the car wasn't exactly in the best of shape.

5OF2k

I honestly dont see any problems with that.... sh*t, its an $800 car! Buy it, drive it, and enjoy an economical DD. /thread

raptorWagon

6th Gens got several flavors of power plants, the 4g63 hadn't always been a DOHC motor.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

curtis

Needs an alignment or it was towed there and parked and the suspension isn't settled. Exhaust is tucked nice though. Just messing with you. 800 for a cheap daily is a no brainer. Just wish it was an awd. You could have a project car fo sure.

GSTwithPSI

I think you have enough cars Mike. If you do buy it though, I think you should give this one a unisex name:

91 Eclipse GSX-Cindy (Drag Car)
90 Eclipse GST-Kerri (Daily)
91 Galant VR4-Samara (Daily Driver)
92 Galant LS-Pat (IDK why I bought this???)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

fuel

Definitely not a 4G37 - the only 4G37 parts interchangeable with the early 4G63 SOHC is the cambelt and big end bearings.

misterfixit

This is a factory 8v SOHC ECI 4g63
IMG_4418.jpg

Mitsu have been making them like this for years.

You'd have all the hardware for an engine swap attached to that motor. Could swap pistons and DOHC it without dropping the motor.

Rich

GSX_TC

Thanks for the input guys.

fuel

the '93 6Gs have the 2.4 SOHC 16V engine like the 7G engines - I would be looking for one of them.

maroonmetallic

Wrong.

Its still a 2.0L.
Its just a 16 valve version with the same valve cover as the 94-98 Galant.
I've owned two of them.

Both had their engines go out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Shawn

holeshotmoe

^^Ditto, here's one I owned...motor was junk. But if your's runs good, then great. Good luck whatever you decide.
101079-0-0-0.jpg

Romanova

Did you buy it? If not, pass on the info! I am interested!!!!!!

GSX_TC

No I didn't buy it, the guy went as low as 750 cash but after driving it, I don't trust it. Here's the number 832 715 6538

What's wrong with the car?

I had the '92 SOHC car as well. Besides the starter, new clutch, axles - that car was solid for about 6 years. Then an old lady decided to write it off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif .

GSTwithPSI

Quoting maroonmetallic:
Wrong.

Its still a 2.0L.
Its just a 16 valve version with the same valve cover as the 94-98 Galant.
I've owned two of them.

Both had their engines go out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

-Shawn

Quoting holeshotmoe:
^^^Ditto, here's one I owned...motor was junk. But if your's runs good, then great. Good luck whatever you decide.

^^^This looks like a SOHC 1.8L to me?

101079-0-0-0.jpg

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts