The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

weakest link ?

presterone

So how do these transmissions/axles hold up when the engine is making a good bit more power than stock? Do you guys generally see them brake at a certain HP/TQ or are they fairly strong?

Diego

Weakest link, 3 bolt axles when at 500+

SEARCH, this has been brought up just a few weeks ago, and a few months ago, and a few years ago... EVERY QUESTION you may ask has probably been asked once or a million times.

raptorWagon

Our 1st gear, while taller than a DSM 1st gear is unfortunately fragile. Only takes a few hard launches to break it.

luis84one

so whats the point of asking a question if its been answered already.. and on that note then why bother having a forum

raptorWagon

Well you just answered your own question. The forum isn't just here for the same question to be asked on a daily basis, it here for advanced tech questions, discussions, classifieds, and whatever else. Oh a forum is also here for storing all those previously answered questions so that new members can use the search function to help find what they are looking for as most questions like this have been asked at one point or another in the past.

presterone

I hear you about using the search function but my question was not based on just the transmission. My questions are often more specific then what I can find on the search bar.

mikus

Go easy on 'em guys, this is the newb section --- exactly where this sort of stuff gets asked.

We can't get too jaded...or one day we'll open shops with crazy markups, organize shootouts, and make long public diatribes against anyone who as much as scuffed our Pumas crossing seats at a movie theater

Leon_R

I have seen many sub-300hp cars break 3-bolt axles. It is a matter of wheelhop, pretty much any wheelhop will break your stock axles...

Fortunately, 4 bolt rear ends are now selling for as little as $125-150!!! As an added bonus, most of them have LSD.

Next weak link is the stock center diff. Look up 4 spider center diff.

presterone

We'll I will be racing but not drag racing and I have a rear VLSD not sure if its a four bolt but it sounds like if I am not launching hard it will hold up fairly well. Can't wait to see what this car is like on the track I've ony experienced racing with FWD and MR

gvr4ever

Quoting presterone:
We'll I will be racing but not drag racing and I have a rear VLSD not sure if its a four bolt but it sounds like if I am not launching hard it will hold up fairly well. Can't wait to see what this car is like on the track I've ony experienced racing with FWD and MR

If your not after 0-60' times, you might never break anything. Just be sure to have good suspension (I'd imagine you will need to if your racing) because weak rear shocks allowing the car to hop or flex weight to the rear of the car will do more harm then HP alone.

raptorWagon

Several choices for suspension; Evo 8/9 Suspension swap, K-Sports, BC Coilovers, Hotbits Coilovers, etc. Just depends on how much you're looking to spend.

DR1665

Quoting Diego:

SEARCH, this has been brought up just a few weeks ago, and a few months ago, and a few years ago... EVERY QUESTION you may ask has probably been asked once or a million times.

Yeah. Unfortunately, 99% of the technical information falsely assumes drag racing is the only reason anyone modifies these cars. I'm building a car to do upwards of 60mph sideways on gravel and catch air on a regular basis. 3-bolt axles aren't even remotely a concern. This being the newbie area, the best response to a seemingly generic question answered eleventy-billion times before is qualifying questions to determine if the question is really the same.

I, for one, am getting tired of 99% of the tech in the DSM community revolving around 2.4L strokers with pumpkin-sized turbos, dogbox transmissions, and stand alones to run times like Breese, Bucci, and Ferruchie run on basically factory turbos.

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned