The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Interesting Thing

Lukefraizer

I saw this on the DSM tuners and thought.... huh..... this is interesting but I have no idea how good of an idea this is unless it is just a dd with no use of vigor at all! Just wanted to see what others thoughts were.

click

transparentdsm

I think its awesome. I think it would hold up fine in a high hp car. As long as your oil pressure isn't crazy high it wont affect that. My GVR4 oil pressure is 89 psi at WOT and 22psi that wouldn't hurt that oil drain thing, at least i wouldn't think....

gtluke

why would oil pressure have anything to do with your oil pan?
I would be afraid of it getting broken off and leaking somehow

Lukefraizer

Yeah I was thinking more like a rock going up and hitting the switch thing... not so much the psi since is it on a no pressure area.

Luke

transparentdsm

^ oh yeah. I actually couldn't see a down side to it, I only thought he was referring to oil pressure because he said a DD with no vigor. As for it getting broken off and leaking could happen, but I mean you would have to slam your car against the ground awfully hard and i think you would be checking the under side of the car anyway.

BluFalcon

I have one of these in my toolbox somewhere. Neat idea, I just wasn't comfortable with the idea of something with a lever that could dump all my engine oil out if it were to somehow be moved, however unlikely it might be. I know there's a safety detent on the lever, but I still would have been more comfortable with the lever safety wired shut, which would have defeated the whole purpose of the quick release lever.

JNR

Neat idea, but do you really want to do this on your engine's "blood" cap?

Lukefraizer

if there was some kind of safety lock I think the idea would be better but as it sits now I would not put it on my engine....

KT

From their FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Will my Engine Oil Drain Valve open up while I am one the Road?
A: No. The "ball valve" design of your Engine Oil Drain Valve is just like the design of valves used in pressurized gas applications. Every valve is constructed to exacting specifications and each and every valve is tested for air tightness before it leaves the factory. The Engine Oil Drain Valve has been tested and granted "Genuine Part" status by six major motor vehicle manufacturers in Japan. These approvals were not granted easily and gaining them was a testimony to the quality and durability of the Engine Oil Drain Valve.

Warning! For users under extreme conditions:
If you are using the Engine Oil Drain Valve on off-road vehicles such as farm tractors and logging equipment under extreme environment (i.e. corn fields, brush areas), it is recommended that a hose clip as shown below be used for extra safety and security. The hose clip, which can be purchased at our online store, will firmly keep the lever in the locked position at all times.

Drew84

I don't understand these type of drain plugs. Is is really all that hard to take off your drain plug?

Brianawd

I have one on my Discovery. Also had one on my Montero. Love it and will soon be putting one on my evo. Yes its easy just pull the drain bolt but why when you can pull it and put that valve in. The one on the montero was put on when I first got it with 70k on it. I sold it with 160k on it and that valve never had a leak. I like the fact that I don't have to pull the drain plug. Get oil on my hand. Oh and no more going to the dealership to get the crush washers for the drain plug. Yes on a mitsu you are supposed to change that crush washer on the drain plug every time you do a oil change.

transparentdsm

Quoting Brianawd:
I have one on my Discovery. Also had one on my Montero. Love it and will soon be putting one on my evo. Yes its easy just pull the drain bolt but why when you can pull it and put that valve in. The one on the montero was put on when I first got it with 70k on it. I sold it with 160k on it and that valve never had a leak. I like the fact that I don't have to pull the drain plug. Get oil on my hand. Oh and no more going to the dealership to get the crush washers for the drain plug. Yes on a mitsu you are supposed to change that crush washer on the drain plug every time you do a oil change.

I just think it's a neat idea and being a mechanic who constantly is working on cars for others and myself, I think it's a great idea..

Brunoboy

my friend has one on her wrx, doesnt leak and its helpful during oil changes. IDK how it would do on a slammed car though.

cheekychimp

I suppose it might defeat the object a little, but if you got the plug with the nipple on the end you could probably find a cap that covered it.

omertaitalia

I've had this installed on my twin turbo nissan 350z for over 2 years with no problem, my aluminum aps oil pan bolt stripped and i didn't want it to happen again so i installed the fumoto.
my car is also extremely low and daily driven

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned