The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Aem Ems Experiences?

EgonOlsen

I got a good deal on an AEM EMS plug&play series 2 Ecu

Anyone here running 1 and what is your experiences with it?
Is it as easy to swap around different MAFs or Injectors ect as Link?
How is the support for it?

This is the 1 we are talking about btw.
click

dammitjim

I had a V1 in an S2000. There is tons of stuff you can do with it but the V1 had a steep learning curve. Some of the software was not very intuitive. The USB interface on the V2 should be a big improvement over the serial ports on the V1. Saving an switching programs should be easy once you get the hang of it.

There is a AEM forum where you can get alot of help.

Leon_R

I had series 1 for many years. If you good with computers have someone who knows it sit down with you for an hour and that should be enough to get the basics.

Most people run it in speed density mode, so no MAF is needed. But rescaling maps for different MAPs was not easy (hopefully that has changed with series 2).

It is a very powerful and good system... When everything works as it should... There was no OBD of any kind, so you had to know what to expect from individual sensors to know that one has gone bad. Street drivability is only as good as your tuning (I was never very good at low boost/partial throttle tuning).

Once V3 DSM Link came out, with speed density, I sold my EMS...

dammitjim

FWIW I would never buy one of these with the intention of programming it myself unless I had a ton of time on my hands. I'd spend more on a different system that is easier to work with or pay someone that has experience with EMS to tune it.

4thStroke

Another
Engine
Mishap

There are a few Evo/DSM guys out there pretty fed up with the AEM and are switching to something else.

Jesh

I had a aem ems series 1 in my car for about 2 days, and during that time I was able to dial in idle and what not. But for the life of me I couldn't figure it all out. ( and by the way I spent several month's studying and read about the aem ems and tuning it.) My personal take on it. Its an awesome machine that in the right hands can make a car run great! But, if you don't know exactly what you are doing you are going to have a very frustrating and long learning curve. Now that I have spent alot of time with dsmlink v3 I might get out the aem ems and take another whack at it. But to be honest the v3 does everything I want for right now, but if you feel your up to the challenge I say go for it! But who knows the series 2 might be a whole different animal.

onesickcrx

I ran EMS I loved it, I thought it had way more adjustably compared to my Dsm link V3. I was very fortunate Boz from our forum helped me out with couple tips and his bases map to start with. After setting it up for my car configuring all my sensors and what not started right up. Idle takes a little while to dial in but the rest of the map was easy. 2150cc Idled like 450's and drove like them too till you hit boost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

EgonOlsen

I had a feeling it would be something around those lines.

Atm. I have an Ostrich and jackal and its ok simple to use, but it have that limit of being for SD only.
Im leaning towards running a MAF so I started looking at ECMlink.
Upside its cheaper and prolly easier to use yourself than AEM.
Downside, being in europe if I cant make it work myself tuners here have no knowledge of Link, but they do have knowledge on AEM,
so getting a tuners help is much easier using Aem.

3rd option would be an Evo8 ecu conversion, but again its not that cheap anymore and with no easy adapter harness to be bought, not that easy either.

Seems to me Link is prolly the best choice atm. Should be easier for a noob like me, hopefully some tuners will be willing to help with it anyway.

Last edited:

onesickcrx

V3 has plenty of options and I ton of people can talk you threw it on here or on Link forum

Leon_R

Quoting onesickcrx:
I ran EMS I loved it, I thought it had way more adjustably compared to my Dsm link V3. I was very fortunate Boz from our forum helped me out with couple tips and his bases map to start with. After setting it up for my car configuring all my sensors and what not started right up. Idle takes a little while to dial in but the rest of the map was easy. 2150cc Idled like 450's and drove like them too till you hit boost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

So, aside from being able to control an auto tranny (which is important if you have an auto tranny), what did you NEED to adjust with AEM that you couldn't do with V3?

Not having an auto tranny, internal logging is the only thing I miss, but that isn't an "adjustment" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Galantvr41062

The AEM EMS is a full stand alone ECU there is no easy swap this for that. And you can do major engine damage if you do not know how to tune a car. If you are a do it your self kind of guy, get DSM link V3. Or trailer your car to a known good tunning shop and have them make it perfect.

I bought my first ems back in 2004 and have had it a few of my cars, I now have a v2 in the race car and the two are way different. Both systems have good and bad things about them. I also used to co-own a performance shop, had a AWD dyno dynamics chassis dyno, went to EFI 101 and advanced, and the AEM factory training.

Last edited:

matt92vr4

I tuned AEM EMS's for a couple years and even had the opportunity to attend their factory training in CA. It is an awesome system. With that said, I'll be running v3 on my car lol. WAY EASIER and less time consuming.

broxma

I'll tell you tomorrow. My car hits the dyno at 10:00 and since I am still having knock sensor issues, AEM running speed density it is.

/brox

I run AEM EMS V2 in my vr4 (daily driver) Twin scroll Brewed Tune 4g63 galant vr4
Could not be happier with it.
I also use a V1 EMS in my S13 track car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tons of options and nearly endless features. My best advice though would be to talk to who ever will be doing the tuning for you and see what they are most comfortable working with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif unless of course you end up choosing your tuner based on what ems you go with!

Good luck and great to see your looking to do a full standalone!

matt92vr4

Whichever system you choose, I would recommend speed density.

broxma

Said I'd tell you after the dyno so here it is.

Drive-ability is very good. Idle is steady even with no ISCV at all. Very low load driving tends to have a minor issue thus far, right at the boost vacuum transition, but the tuner has said he expected it and can tune it out on Monday.

Some issues I am dealing with.

The Evo 10 Map sensor does not have a preset and we are having a hard time finding a good scalar for it. This means we don't know what voltage is atmospheric pressure so we can't calibrate vacuum and boost scales. Be sure you have the manufacturer latencies for whatever injectors you have. Not whatever the guys at EvoM are running. It really needs a wideband connected to the o2 pin on the ECU, not for driving but for tuning. Something I am taking care of right now actually.

/brox

PreskitVR4

I have had EMS for a long time. I have box number 20. I stand behind it, and at the time, it was the only thing like it, within reach. I am still running on the original GM 3 bar map with the AIT 3 inches in front of the throttle body. I have a really good tuner (UMS) that has attended all factory training and that really is the biggest issue most people have with this system...driveability.

alansupra94

I have an AEM EMS V1 on my galant. I guess it really depends on your understanding of engines, tuning and computers.

For me, it was very easy to catch on after TheBoz (Keith Boster) explained a few things to me. The hardest thing is getting the idle but after reading the manuals and various online threads, I was able to get mine to idle fine without the IAC.

I plan on buying an AEM EMS V1 for my supra real soon too.

I guess my only grip is my AEM EMS reads the wideband off by ~1. I am not sure if I assume the gauge is right or the AEM EMS. So far I assume the gauge is right and then offset the AEM EMS. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

mikus

I'd agree w/ sentiment of "Link if you want to learn it yourself, and AEM if you're having someone tune it"

LINK has so much support (users and ECM themselves) that you can't go wrong if you're willing to read. I'd post your newb LINK stuff here, & save ECMforum posts for when you're a bit more experienced.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned