The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which Valve Spring compressor is best in your opinion?

Well I'm needing to purchase a valve spring compressor and I noticed there are quite a few to choose from..
The ones that caught my attention were the following:

Euroexport
valve_spring_compressor1.jpg

OTC 4572
otc-4572.gif

and the
Lisle 36050
Lisle_36050_Valve_Keeper_Remover_and_Installer_Kit.jpg

I have seen the prices very from $45 to $75..
Though I am looking for some opinions on these tools or alternatives that you would feel are better.

Thanks.

rdomeck

I feel like the Lisle's would work best for our cylinder heads. Some of the ones you buy will have a hard time reaching into the top of the valve spring. The Lisle's look's like it has a deep enough reach! I used one of the old styles like that one when I redid my head and I had to make a adapter like the one shown on the end of the Lisle's one!

The Lisle is unique since it catches the keepers and retainer.. However you need to hit it with a hammer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.
Here's a vid.
Lisle 36050 being used

Quoting OZRally:
I have the EuroExport tool. It's really easy to use on and off the car.

I have read quite a few post indicating that it's easy to use.. Though how do you feel the aluminum block will hold up over time? It is possibly the most expensive unit of the bunch.

Last edited:

grocery_getter

Quoting rdomeck:
I feel like the Lisle's would work best for our cylinder heads. Some of the ones you buy will have a hard time reaching into the top of the valve spring. The Lisle's look's like it has a deep enough reach! I used one of the old styles like that one when I redid my head and I had to make a adapter like the one shown on the end of the Lisle's one!

You mean the OTC one..

grocery_getter

The Lisle tools works great for stock valvespring, as long as you also used it on the head off the car. With a higher rate valve spring, it becomes impossible to knock the tool down with just a swing of a hammer. On install mode, the inner middle of the lisle tool also rest on tip of he valve. If you try to use it with the head on the car, the valve would go down into the cylinder as soon as you try to install the keepers on.

Between the three choice the best one is the first tool pictured. I use the Mitsubishi factory tool which combined a bridge with a threaded compressor. It is over $300 too.

Last edited:
Alright.. Thanks for the advice, I'll be placing a order for 1st one.

rdomeck

Quoting rdomeck:

Sorry I got the pictures mixed up....The OTC one would be the best in my opinion! Should have looked at the part #'s in a seperate page. There is a review on Amazon about that compressor using it on a 4g63!

dmj

Euroexport is excellent, the kit also comes with an adaptor for Evo style beehive springs.

OZRally

Quoting captaingowa:
Quoting OZRally:
I have the EuroExport tool. It's really easy to use on and off the car.

I have read quite a few post indicating that it's easy to use.. Though how do you feel the aluminum block will hold up over time? It is possibly the most expensive unit of the bunch.

I've already used it 4 times and it hasn't damaged any threads. The tool comes with Brad Penn oil to lubricate the bolt while in use. It is the easiest one I've used compared to the old school 5' extensions with cut o2 sensor socket, modified c clamp, traditional valve spring compressor and the lisle tool shown above. Worth every penny!

Last edited:

OZRally

Oh and when I use the tool while the head is mounted on the block I use cylinder leakage tester to hold the valves up.

ohmegamike

I'd say get the EuroExport one too. If you ever want to change springs, retainers, etc with the head still on, you can. The others require head removal, and that means a new 150.00 head gasket, and 100.00 head studs. Easy choice!

brisvr4

I just purchased and used the Euroexport one.
Took me about 20 minutes working slowly to strip the head with it.
Head was on a bench though. Easy to use and fairly robust!

TRBODSM

Euro export is my choice. No need to pull off the cylinder head to use and very simple and durable. I've used the same one for about 15 different cylinder head install and removal of valve springs(stock and aftermarket)

Well I purchased the Euroexport tool and removed my valves.. I have to admit that it's quite a good tool. It does make the job a bit tedious cause you have to completely remove the bolt when going to the next valve spring, and every 4th one you need to remove the entire tool.

Thanks for advice everyone.

atc250r

Staff member
I've used a bunch of them including the factory one and when I needed one I bought this one:

Snap On Universal

91VR41400

The Euroexport is my choice, you can chill with it and take your time since everything is in a fixed position. Only draw back is, as previously mentioned, is that it does take awhile to set it up/position it for each cylinder.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned