The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

57/2000 build......sorta legit

jnava

Staff member
I've had time to accumulate a few performance parts with a the main goal of having 300hp on my galant. I feel that having this goal is very attainable and will create some issues but will probably be minor. I've seen how many of you deal with such issues and I feel that eventually, I'll have the same problems. I've read many builds on the dsm boards as well as this one, and I've learned that the SEARCH button is the best way to find information. With all the knowledge in this site, I still feel like a jackass sometimes. But as of today, I installed my e316g today and decided to pull the headlights since I have some jdm headlights I purchased a while ago. I do have a evo 9 fmic as well and I started to pull the bumper but left if on the two bolts until tomorrow.

I have a set of comp cams 101100 aka fp1, I want to install them myself since there is a tool for the TB tension, and I've seen the video of the changing of the cams but I feel I gonna fudge something up. With many of these parts that I do have, I am missing some injectors and a fuel pump also but I'm not rushing to kill everything with one stone, plus I do have the v2.5 dsmlink and I just received a Bushur/sx afpr and gauge. Everything is coming along, now that I have 2days off. I've been working 6 days a week since Feb. Everyone has been affected and so has my car. I've realized that I don't want to daily drive the car anymore, instead, I want to fix it in a way that it runs great and at the same time, taking real good care of it. I have tons of work to do on this car and I've finally starting to realize the pride of doing your own work.
IMAG0490.jpg
IMAG0469.jpg

So I started installing the jdm headlamps and they pretty much fell into place except the grill. I do recall hearing a discussion about needing to install a jdm grill as well. So now I'm in the hunt again for more parts to finish this part of the build. I actually followed the instructions to the "how to" on wiring. BTW, I did solder and added some heat shrink tubing to get it done right. Here is some more nasty pics of my bumper,.
IMAG0499.jpg
IMAG0498.jpg

I pulled the bumper off to start checking how I'm going to mount the fmic and realized that all the how to's don't specifically mention the mounting method except, "it mounts in the stock hole locations". I need ac in Texas , so I can't remove the condensor fan. Probably be best to cut the support just for future upgrades as well.
IMAG0500.jpg

After reading a few of the other evo fmic installs, I decided to cut the hot side inlet pipe. Here is my problem, I have a mig welder, I've already purchased a spool of aluminum so I can weld. All I'm missing is a argon tank. Now, I don't know if a 20# tank will suffice or should I get a 40# tank? Obviously, I don't know the standard amount of use of a mig in comparison to use of gas. I went into a local AirGas location and their recommendation for aluminum was pure argon or argon with some helium. Oh well, I'm going to have to find some aluminum scrap to practice on before I start welding on this piece.
IMAG0508.jpg

Well, I decide late this evening to install the Buschur AFPR. It was to damn easy since there is no need to make lines or attach this or that, plain and simple. No wonder Buschur asks so much for this piece. Simplicity.
IMAG0512.jpg

Well, I just won an eterna grille for the galant since the stock piece no longer fits. I won it for $64 so I think it worked out well, even though I should have bought the fuel pump or injectors, but this pc will probably not show up soon and I think it would look attractive on the car.

So the eterna sava grilled has just arrived and it looks great. I've also purchased a new set of Fic950cc Injectors. Here is a pic of the grilled.
IMAG0520.jpg

I also just installed the egr block off plate from STM...
IMAG0522.jpg

Here is the pics, I've been so busy that I haven't had a chance to install but I have them ready..
IMAG0529.jpg

Well, I have an HKS EVC EZ boost controller. I just purchased an HKS EVC IV but just the unit w/o the cables or stepper motor since I already have the pcs from the EVC EZ. After careful consideration, it's a direct plug and play so it is a perfect upgrade for only $35.
IMAG0530.jpg

The interesting part that I have to decide is if I'm going to install these springs and titanium retainers and I have SS valves as well. I could do a some simple porting and install these goodies and get a valve job to finish up or sale them to buy a couple of other mods. Decisions, decisions, decisions.
IMAG0532.jpg

Well, I've been a bit busy and lazy at the same time to deal with some concerns with the galant but as of today, I did a walbro 255 install and also finished a fuel pump rewire. 2/1/12, I was lucky enough to find a AEM Uego and I purchased it. So I'm going to purchase a bung from a local shop and install it so I can run the line to the ecu. I have to research which pin I can use to log the aem unit but I'll find it. I just need to get some lower injector seals and drop in the injectors and do an initial test on the pump and start getting ready to start tuning. I've been reading up the ecmlink wiki and it's actually fun to read how to understand how an ecu works. It's gonna work or blow up...who knows, but it will be fun.

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
Alright, #57 is back up and running, after the slow build up of parts and installing them. I had some issues with running the ecmlink v3 but after some trouble shooting, I double checked everything and made sure all fittings and clamps were tight, primed the turbo by taking off the mpi and I turned the key and no go. I forgot to install the fuse for the fuel pump rewire kit. Once that was done, she started right up. I have other issues to resolve but it feels good to go from all tore down to the sweet smell of carbon fuel in the air. I appreciate all of you who have made technical articles that helped me get to this point, my next nightmare is tuning it.

turbojew

Dude sick progress. Im trying to get my first VR4 and am in the process of moving to Dallas.

jnava

Staff member
Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
Well, it's been a while since I've blogged progress on the car. I've done so many changes that everything I did before has changed drastically and the plans have been thrown out the window.

For example, I sold the E316g, V2 and the HKS EVC, what I did with that money is quite interesting . First off, I bought ECMLINK V3 for $250. Great purchase, plus I installed the original 14b. I also bought this beauty.
20120923_205608.jpg

That's Ed's 2.3L stroker motor. It's a Ross and Eagle combo with a new G4CS crank. Motor was obviously modified for clearance. It has new pullys, tensioners, FP4R cams, new rockers, 3g lifters, evo beehives, ported, fidanza cam gears, bse, ti retainers...This engine is just full of goodies.
20120923_205017.jpg

20121017_103926.jpg

I'm just going through all the different options to build off this foundation. Since the FP4R cams require a turbo flowing more than 50lbs, I'm highly interested in the FP turbos that are available. I like the FP red that is internally gated, which would lead to a cost saving purchase of a FP race manifold. I also need an intake manifold and a transmission as well. I will not install this motor without having these upgrades. I might as well go all out and get the best possible part for my application. There are so many choices that I'm just wondering what I'm going to do next.

One thing that I've done lately is start learning how to tune with V3. I've been playing with Direct Access and I'm running 22lbs with no knock. It runs like a champ, but looking at the engine is keeping motivated to do more. I want to buy a bigger turbo for my car right now, but the overall goals keep me from doing it.

DynastyLCD

you could always use an FP red, or FP green, and set it up to use the wastegate on the o2 housing. this way you can still use that perty FP manifold.

or, a 3052 or 3065 are AWESOME choices for both serious power, and daily drivability. i've had both, and i love both! if spool is a major concern, get the 3052. i could crack 30 psi by just shy of 4000 RPM's, and it pulled like an animal to 8k. however, since you're using the stroker, id say go for the extra and get the 3065!

jnava

Staff member
I've kept on the lookout for those particular turbos and read as many reviews and experience with fp 3065 and I'm convinced. Just working out the whole setup and what parts I will need..

jnava

Staff member
Alright, as many of you know, last year I parted a car that had so many goodies. I was honestly trying to go back to stock just so I could keep it and then I realized...........

img.php

As you can see, there is nothing about stock in this. I've gone so far off track of keeping stock. I basically repurchased everything I sold and have actually upgraded a few parts. For example, I just removed yesterday the intake manifold and found that the Knock sensor goo was gone. Luckily Ed will provide me with a unit today. It was a bitch to remove the manifold with my sausage fingers but I was able to do so. The Magnus was from The Underdog and that guy is cool. Consla sold me his prefacelift fogs and I'm still thinking of buying his projectors fog lights too.

I will honestly say that CURTIS was right, I should have just calmed down and sit back and see where things would have led me. Who know where I could have been if I would have waited. Shane sold me his FP2 cams which I'm thinking of doing all of the work which includes installing the cams, intake manifold, fmic and pipes, possibly the hks cam gears, and getting a catch can built. BTW Evozero is hooking me up with his welding skills on the VC, I purchased the -10an bungs and he is welding them on. This is also an Fp18g turbo that I is installed in the Gvr4. I've been asked lately what my horsepower goals are, and I've honesty answered. If I can get 180whp great, anything more and it's awesome. I would rather have low expectations than high ones and fail. Hell, if it runs after I've laid hands on it, I f***ing WIN. lol.

Oh btw way, yes this is the fifth time I purchase link. This time it's full again and bnib. It's going to go well with my sd package I bought too. BTW, I know there is an ongoing bet if I'm going to sell it again, I won't.....lol

As you can see, I have so many part that I've ordered and stock items. I have a few items from JNZ in the mail too with a few gaskets to replace too. I went off and bought this too. I just ordered the tungsten electrodes and some er309 . I have to get 100% argon...I have a tank but it has a mix.

I have a ton of sh*t going down here in the next few weeks but I will say that it is fun to f*** with your car when the sun is out. I've been lucky with some of the guys on the org giving me a chance to get some of these parts back on my gvr4.

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

Sorry to hear that man. It seems like a lot of members are having issues with getting parts here lately. I hope you guys get things worked out, the trunk would look great on the car.

jnava

Staff member
Issues have been resolved......Next problem gt3582r is missing here. Sourced one and it is on the way...

jnava

Staff member
I've been here and there and pretty much getting her tightened up and has much more to go....Now that I work at Alamo Autosports, I'm just surrounded by blocks, rods, pistons, practically everything I would need to build a block, head, fabricate items, with new parts. I'm just in heaven.....without the money to buy it all. I was lucky to get 1051's Eterna grille and the whole Swedish deal blew up in my face.....So I bought three cars and ...lost three edm bumpers and rear bumpers and pretty much fucked but oh well. I'm waiting on a Maradyne M122K for cooling needs....Need to get 1051's bumper too, but Mr. 1051 is having too much fun with his Raptor...lol.

Otherwise, I have to list everything that has been changed and what it's been changed too...what I do like is the Volk GTA and Charles's hood struts...so simple and very useful. I'll post more later...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned