The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

My ECU has toggle switches ...question for previous owner of 777

moduleunknown

Anybody have any idea what's going on here? This might be a question for the previous owner(s) of 777/2000. Just curious...

...it also has a phone cord hanging out of it - tempted to plug in an old phone receiver and ask it some questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have no idea what would happen if I started flipping switches since I only found this when pulling the ECU to swap with a DSMLink V3 ECU, so it's really a non issue now.

GSX_TC

oh wow i've never seen anything like that before.

turbowop

Jeff used to do separate images on chips that could be accessed by toggle switches. I'm guessing that is what is going on here. I actually have a chip from him setup that way, but I never ended up using it. It had two different timing profiles on it for two different types of fuel. 92octane and 110. The old RJ11 phone plug was used back in the day for datalogging...I think. The phone line was even before I started messing with these piles.

Last edited:

cheekychimp

I'm not sure that's the case here, look at the labels on the toggle switch. I am pretty sure that when you flip that toggle switch it initiates the ground for timing so that you don't have to mess about with wires under the hood.

Last edited:

turbowop

Quoting cheekychimp:
I'm not sure that's the case here, look at the labels on the toggle switch. I am pretty sure that when you flip that toggle switch it initiates the ground for timing so that you don't have to mess about with wires under the hood.

I think I'd rather just ground out the connector under the hood to do idle/timing changes rather than have to reach up under the dash to flip switches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

donniekak

Quoting cheekychimp:

There are two toggles, and one of them goes to the pin you ground on the eprom chip to use the second map. I would guess the other one labeled idle, would be for the idle timing lock.

MitchooO

I'm not sure if its anything like the ecu in my civic, When we had the ecu chipped for the car we drove the car to him and he chipped it, Put a 2 pin connector on a jumper with a removable connector on top (like a switch) so we could drive it home stock, Then when we put the turbo setup on it and installed the big injectors we could just slide the connector on the pins to activate the chip. Maybe the previous owner like to switch the setup around from one setup to stock? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

cheekychimp

Quoting donniekak:
There are two toggles, and one of them goes to the pin you ground on the eprom chip to use the second map. I would guess the other one labeled idle, would be for the idle timing lock.

Yeah, my bad. That second switch looked like a hole with a wire going through it at that angle. So we were all right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Quoting turbowop:
I think I'd rather just ground out the connector under the hood to do idle/timing changes rather than have to reach up under the dash to flip switches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Yeah I was thinking that when I posted it too. I think the last time I saw that done the guy remote located the toggle to make it easier. I thought then that it was stupid, I mean it isn't like you do timing 'that' often surely. Still if what donniekak is saying is correct and you had that dual map EPROM you mentioned, the switch on the dash might be useful for swapping maps.

Last edited:

1442 came with a serial port cable like that too but never seen toggles like that.

dsm10o0

I think that's my old ecu. I found it in a junk yard and sold it since I didn't know what it was. If you remove the toggle switch board, you'll see the 2 wires has been re soldered on cause it fell out when I opened it.

moduleunknown

Quoting dsm10o0:
I think that's my old ecu. I found it in a junk yard and sold it since I didn't know what it was. If you remove the toggle switch board, you'll see the 2 wires has been re soldered on cause it fell out when I opened it.

Well, if you did re-solder, you managed to match the quality of every other solder joint. There's also a chip piggybacked and soldered on to the EPROM. I'll have to stare at this thing for a bit before I toss it my pile of random junk.

Whatever was going on with the ECU, one, maybe both maps were wrong for 777, or the timing/idle toggle was inadvertently flipped to the wrong position at some point (I have no way of knowing what those switches really did), but just putting in my DSMLink ECU instantly made a world of difference. I feel like I've made a huge leap forward in getting the car back to running as it should.

I had originally purchased DSMLink so that I could replace the ECU with a known good (repaired and tested) ECU, and to use as a diagnostic tool while getting the car sorted out and running correctly. So glad I did.

...just a few more things to sort out and then maybe I can start modding this car. Bone stock under the hood for now - still fun though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jepherz

Staff member
Ah, so there you go. No way to know what dual maps were for on the eprom though unless you actually read the code.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned