The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ARP head studs, special tool???

I have tried every size socket ...I'm pulling the head today but the boots won't come off

3rdstrikedsm

It's just a 12 point socket.

Barnes

Quoting usethe4ce:
I'm pulling the head today but the boots won't come off

It is much easier if you untie them first.

Barnes

ARP head studs are, studs. Therefore you are trying to remove nuts. Sorry for being a pedantic jerk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Omg.ok nuts ...now I need a 12point but what size...I'm sitting at homedepo waiting for a reply

Barnes

I wanna say it is 12-point 14mm, not sure if it needs to be deep or not.

524of1000

12 pt 14mm and I use the deep socket for the extra reach/clearance for the stud. Never tried it with a regular sized socket... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

pauleyman

You've got a galant vr4 with arp studs and you don't own a full compliment of metric tools? You can take apart just about the entire car with 10, 12, 14 and 17mm sockets and wrenches. A couple of each is a really good idea in both standard and deep sockets.

BrandonEchols

^ He speaks the truth.
Although off hand I can also remember need a 27mm socket for the axle nuts.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting spooledyou:
i use a 9/16ths deep 12 point

which is the same size as a 14mm.

gtluke

Close, but when messing with stuff that gets torqued tight, use the right tool, and not that ching chong crap from home depot.

BrandonEchols

Yeah, a 9/16 is close, but on something I need to torque to ~90ft/lbs I'd rather have the *exact* size socket, and a decent quality piece at that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned