The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Check engine light doesn't light up

OMFGeofffff

So I was driving to work today and I lost power to my engine. I can crank and crank but it won't fire. I noticed that my CEL doesn't light up when I turn my key to the ON position. Luckily I still haven't put my ecu back up into its spot so I unplugged it and opened it up. Visually everything looks good still since I've had it rebuilt last yaer. Is there anything else that can cause the cel to not light up when turning the key to ON? Anyone in MN have a spare stock emprom chip they can give me or borrow? I'm hoping my dsmlink chip didn't fry or something.

Also I heard a relay click a couple times shortly after it died.

MellowVR4

possible that the bulb burned out or someone had the car before you and noticed that light was on and disconnected it lol.

OMFGeofffff

It worked before. It stopped when my car died while driving. Now the cel doesn't light up and it just cranks but doesn't start. I'm just seeing if there's anything not related to the ecu that cold cause this.

Last edited:

Dark_Horse

If the CEL doesn't come on and the boost gauge doesn't move 1/2 way when the key is in the ON position - it's most likely ECU related. I can't think of any other reason why the CEL wouldn't come on besides ECU problems.

Last edited:

yeti

Your CEL is supposed light up for a few seconds then shut off and your boost gauge is supposed to light up half way
If any of these are not present then your ecu is bad or at least a part of it is.

Also Make sure your eprom chip is fully installedf

Last edited:

tayschells13

I have the same problem, except my car starts and runs fine. I'm thinking maybe I just came across a rare occasion where my bulb actually burnt out, or maybe I have problems stirring up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

OMFGeofffff

It was the ecu. Threw a working one in and fired up. At first it looked like the ecu was fine but upon closer inspection there is a small burn spot that might of been the culprit. Now to get a hold of terry to see if he can fix it again.

transparentdsm

i have an ecu out of a 92 laser rs awd non-eprom, would you want that for 75 shipped?? i could pull the one in my vr4 out and test it first to make sure it works for ya.

OMFGeofffff

Already bought an eprom. I figure I'll get caps replaced and have it socketed once I get my old one fixed. I'll actually keep it as a spare too instead of selling it like I did with my last one.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts