The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Lol, what you guys think about this? Solar Panels?

alansupra94

What do you think? I decided to drop two solar panels to keep my battery charged all the time.

0807111523.jpg

0807111523b.jpg

And a wet shot. This was like 10 minutes after installing everything.

0807112046b-1.jpg

Let the love/hate begin.

Last edited:

IncorpoRatedX

that's mounted to your trunk??

alansupra94

Yessir. Mounted there and pump out about 30W. Good to keep the battery always charged even when the car is off.

Diego

no love/hate.... but couldnt you have made it look like it should go where a sunroof would go for less weight on the trunk and uhm something else but Im distracted at the moment by uhm, why did you do this?????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting alansupra94:
Yessir. Mounted there and pump out about 30W. Good to keep the battery always charged even when the car is off.

well whatever, it's very hackjob looking. function > form i guess.

where did you get them and how much?

alansupra94

Quoting Alpha Male:
Quoting alansupra94:

well whatever, it's very hackjob looking. function > form i guess.

where did you get them and how much?

I got them for $20 from this guy at my workplace. He had several sets of them left over. *scratch* How is it hackjob looking? I have them flush to the trunk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif How would you have mounted it?

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Your a weirdo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

You're

Quoting Diego:
no love/hate.... but couldnt you have made it look like it should go where a sunroof would go for less weight on the trunk and uhm something else but Im distracted at the moment by uhm, why did you do this?????? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I kinda like my sunroof. It still works /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif. I did this mainly too keep my battery charged when I am away for college. Got annoying having to run a orange wire out to my driveway. I guess it also doubles as a way to charge the battery in the event of a drain or if I need to use my battery with the car off.

I guess everyone hates it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:

GSX_TC

That's pretty cool, can u post more pics of how u did it? And more info

beaner

I don't think it looks hack, just odd. I don't really understand the mod though. Why isn't your battery always charged? My DSMs will sit for a long time between projects and they fire right up when back together.

alansupra94

I mean I just didn't like the idea of the battery dying. I am pretty sure the Exide battery I have isn't a deep cycle so if it dies it more than likely will stay dead. With all the hacked wires that were in this car, there might be a slow leak somewhere maybe. It already killed the small stock battery I had so I said screw it and designed this idea.

I was going for the odd look /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

Last edited:

alansupra94

The basic design is very simple. Consists of a solar panel that is connected to a basic PWM controller. (You can get them on ebay for cheap and specific to your needs). I got a PWM controller with a float point exactly to what my battery is so there wouldn't be a problem. Also keep in mind my battery is now in the trunk of my car so it was easy and short to connect all the wires.

IncorpoRatedX

Quoting Beaner:
I don't think it looks hack, just odd. I don't really understand the mod though. Why isn't your battery always charged? My DSMs will sit for a long time between projects and they fire right up when back together.

I'm with you man, i've left cars sitting in the garage for over a year that turned over like they ran yesterday.

spend less time adding solar panel sh*t and more time fixing the hacked up wiring in your car...

JB

Why not just unhook the battery when you're away at school?

GSX_TC

That doesn't always work.

Andy_S

Personally, I would add about 20 more panels. Then yank the engine and replace with large electric motor from forklift or ??? Then go out and enjoy a cruise on a nice sunny day.

alansupra94

Quoting Barnes:
You should have bought something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-2017-Solar-Battery-Charger/dp/B000VHT9GS

Intead of chuttering up your trunk.

Chuttering? You mean cutting? or cluttering? Either way I looked at empty space and only required 8 small holes. Worst case, I would just get another truck and remount the VR4 wing. Thats a pretty cool thing though.

Quoting JB:
Why not just unhook the battery when you're away at school?

Problem is that the AEM will lose the tune. Don't get me wrong, I can always upload it but AEM tends to be fickle and I don't want to give it a reason to crap out.

Also Andy_S you would need alot more solar panels to power an engine.

Polish

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts