The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stock PS pump?... I don't think so

Whoodoo

I need to know what the stock GVR4 PS pump looks like, or perhaps what markings they have. I've been trying to diagnose and fix Tyler's PS leak at the pump, so today I pulled it out to have a look.

I have suspected a blown shaft seal based on where I was seeing fluid coming from. After getting it out, the first thing I did was take the low pressure hose off and I found problem number 1... no o-ring in there. At that point, i contemplated just throwing an o-ring in it and calling it a day. Boy am I glad I didn't.

After getting the back plate off, it looked similar to what I had seen on tuners, but not quite. The insides weren't exactly what the pictures were showing.

This pic (from dsmtuners) shows the rotor.
attachment.php

As you can see, there is a round contraption on the bottom of it with a round o-ring seal.
attachment.php

Tyler's pump doesn't have that round back part. Here's pics of the disassembly. You can see the differences compared to what is on tuners.

CIMG0200.jpg

CIMG0203.jpg

CIMG0204.jpg

CIMG0205.jpg

CIMG0207.jpg

After I got the shaft off and what do you know? The front seal was trashed. There is a sleeve bearing that the shaft rides in that was destroyed on the inside, sending chunks of metal toward the front seal. I wasn't happy about that because that meant I needed to make a new one. Well, unfortunately the tools at work aren't as nice as the tools at school, so I only had a very small lathe and had to make my own boring bar. Well, I got the new bearing made and (here's the kicker) when I went to put the new shaft seal on the pump, it was too small.

So, after all that I have to now figure out if NAPA sold me the wrong shaft seal kit, or if I have the wrong pump. Anyone got any info? Pics of a stock VR4 pump would help as well.

Last edited:

curtis

Seems like I read on here that our pumps have a speed sensitive pressure deducing valve inside or something. Just woke up so not thinking clearly yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also flush the system front and rear.

123abc

There are in fact two different power steering pumps that came on vr4's. One has an aluminum housing and the other is a cast iron piece. I was able to check at work. (oreilly's)

123abc

Part numbers through A1 Cardone (sp?) brand is:

21-5790 for the cast iron housing,
21-5885 for the DSM/aluminum housing.

The problem looks really tricky, I think that the NAPA sold you the wrong seal Kit.

Whoodoo

I went to the pull a part and found a PS pump from a N/A 1g eclipse. Once I started cleaning it up and pulling it apart, It looked exactly the same as the PS pump in the DSMtuners writeup and the seal kit that I got from Napa had the correct sized front seal. My conclusion is that either A) NAPA just sold me the wrong seal kit, or B) the pump that was in Tyler's car was not stock.

I haven't determined whether GVR4's have a different pump or not, but I wouldn't think there would be anything different about them because all the 4WS stuff has to do with the front rack, not the pump.

Here are a few comparison photos. The dsm pump is on the right.
CIMG0261.jpg

CIMG0259.jpg

CIMG0257.jpg

CIMG0250.jpg

It looks to me like these pumps are made by different companies, but perform the same function. Maybe the only functional difference between them is pressure switch activation points. Oh well, after installing the new pump (with all new seals) and filling up and bleeding the system, the power steering worked great. Now I guess we'll see if there are any leaks in the system anywhere else.

Boy power steering is nice. Tyler, I think you can finally cross one thing off the list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned