The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NGK Factoid

Saw this Technical Bulletin for NGK Plugs here, NGKPlugPro.ca
I personally didn't know about not putting anti-seize on NGK plugs when torquing to spec. Looks like it is more detrimental to aluminum heads.

img.php

prove_it

Good find. Good to know these kind of things. Newbies, pay attention.

Terry Posten

I don't think I ever thought to use AS on plugs. (good thing because I only use NGKs)

But that makes total sense.

4thStroke

Oops. I'll keep this in mind next time I swap plugs. I hate pulling sticky plugs, but my car gets the once over often enough Im sure it wouldnt be an issue.

Every since I snapped a plug in my Justy, Ive always been AS happy with the plugs.

On this note... don't ever put anti-seize on your wheel studs either! You WILL over torque them. I work in the tire industry and have at least 1 car a week come in with anti-seize.

4thStroke

Wheels studs too? Im 0 for 2.

I make an effort not to crank on them too hard. Some people go ape sh*t on wheels studs, Im not like that.

Muskrat

I'd trust this more if they said what their "special metal plating" was. I'd expect more of a technical bulletin. I always apply a copper anti-seize, and have never had an issue removing spark plugs. I understand an anti-seize will make the static torque lower, by providing lubrication, but what about their "special metal plating" is supposed to prevent seizure? I'd rather risk over torque than a seized plug.

turbowop

I've never used AS on my plugs and never had an issue removing them either...including on my old Justy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4thStroke

Mark, it wasnt me, I was performing basic maintenance after I got it. That sucker never did come out. I swapped the head from my other Justy onto the block.

4thStroke

A guy I know has a 4 door Justy. Fuel injectoed, 5 speed, 4wd, plaid cloth interior. The coolest one I have seen to date. Im jealous of the kid. Justys are rad. I loved telling people I had a Subaru Justy. "A Subaru what?" My dad even though I named it Justy, he had no clue that was the model.

Back to AS useage... use sparingly, guys.

Last edited:

Quoting Muskrat:
I'd trust this more if they said what their "special metal plating" was. I'd expect more of a technical bulletin. I always apply a copper anti-seize, and have never had an issue removing spark plugs. I understand an anti-seize will make the static torque lower, by providing lubrication, but what about their "special metal plating" is supposed to prevent seizure? I'd rather risk over torque than a seized plug.

They do say /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Trivalent Coating:

Now, what is Chromium? Basically speaking Chromium is a metallic element that is used to harden surfaces and it also causes the surfaces to become resistant to corrosion. Chromium is made naturally and it is also used in the making of stainless steel and other such materials. Therefore with that being said, let me condense it.

Trivalent Chromium Process is a combination of compounds used on surfaces that have the potential of rusting; thereby hardening the surface and helping it to become corrosion resistant.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I have almost always used NGK, at least in all my Japanese vehicles. I have never used anti-seize and have never had a plug stick,

Probably should not have even mentioned that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lonewolf64

^^I used NOS energy drink in my gas tank to gain eleventy hp...^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

EDIT: Damnit, I'm 99% sure I'm we're getting rick rolled by turbowop as the poster above...and I fell for it.

Last edited:

Barnes

I'm not sure where I put it, but in my Pocket Reference book, it has a percentage torque chart depending on lubrication. I.E. If you are using anti-seize you use 60% of the stated(dry) torque value. I'll try to remember to post it when I find it.

This way you could use anti-seize when you want, but not over torque things.

CP

There should be no risk of snapping a spark plug with or without antiseize if you're only tightening to 20ft/#s.

prove_it

Best tip is to only take plugs out of a cold engine. If you need to do a hot compression test, loosen and retighten the plugs first then get it hot. The plugs come out easier. Much Much Much less of a chance of stripping threads or breaking plugs when the engine is cold.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts