The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Weight reduction numbers...

Hey everyone,

Here is a list of some things I've removed from the car to lighten it. My goal is 3000 lbs with me in it. Some are easy to do only at the track. Others are more permanant. Total I've saved about 180 lbs with quite a bit more still left to remove. I will weigh the car when I get to the track next. Feel free to make comments or suggestions and remember the numbers were measure on a bathroom scale so they are +/- a little bit.

www.shiftedthinking.com -> Pivvay -> Weightloss
or directly at
http://www.shiftedthinking.com/pivvay/weightloss.html

number3

I pulled the ABS block out the other night and it weighed 12-14lbs.

FYI

ken inn

these evo recaros i bought are REALLY light. i bet less than half the regular seat.

ah yes i forgot about ABS. I will add that to the to do list.

Ken- The sparco evo's weigh 14 lbs each...you said the recaro evo's are lighter but don't work with 5 point harnesses right? BTW the Sparco evo's are very comfortable for my (31" waist)

or...you can try to replace as steel or other metal parts with aluminum.aluminum muffler.i know a kid around here that has a 4dr neon (pos),tries to make it quick but i dont think its going too far,he removed his rear doors and got them replaced with fiberglass or some sh*t and i bet he took a good amount of weight off doing that.you can also get plexi glass windows,that will reduce alot of weight.good luck

robby

If you switch to the 89 glove box, drivers side kick panel, and console you will lose about 5-10 more pounds.

You can get a few pounds with an aftermarket steering wheel. The stock steering wheel frame is heavy gauge steel. Many new wheels have aluminum frames. The Altezza wheel I got is about 1/2 the weight.
http://home.attbi.com/~karns10/pictures/Altezza1.jpg

Ward

you say you want to get rid of the bumpers for the track only, just take them off and hack away most of the metal support and put the bumper back on. i couldnt beleive how much those things weighed.

quote:Originally posted by teet:

I can make composite hoods and trunk lids, but don't like to do it...I have the molds. I really don't want to figure out how to ship them.
john
well why didnt you say this a long time ago? lets get it going im interested.

number3

He has.

quote:Originally posted by number3:
He has. Yup, he has.

I thought about it, but I wouldn't want to ask him to since I'm sure it's a pain.

kartorium

I didn't see any hood or trunk stuff but the cage in the galant in his garage is freakin beef. It looks like it could roll 50 times and be ok. Any way, seems like he is very thorough, his hood is probly just as hardcore. Good guy to deal with.

teet

take the mirrors off and feel them. then feel a viatoni mirror...

if you have no rear seat...no need for the rear door beams...this obviously is a permanent safety-loss modification.

when pulling the AC, pull compressor, heat exchanger in the front...AND the one under the dash. Take the plastic part off and you can easily removed the heavy aluminum/brass heat exchanger.

I can make composite hoods and trunk lids, but don't like to do it...I have the molds. I really don't want to figure out how to ship them.

4 bolts don't weigh much more.

john

teet

There was a smashed hood(stupid trees) that is OK quality and a damaged trunk lid that was there that is ok quality.

I still don't have it down...it is not super easy to make really nice BIG parts. I really don't want to get into the buisness for sure...but if someone wants one for racing applications...ie if it isn't perfectly straight...and not perfect edges...etc... I can make them.

I also have been thinking about taking the molds down to a local mfg and asking how much they would charge to pop out a few from the molds.

the hood molds have vents. Big vents. I laid them out for my rally car...not copied from anything. it is custom.

the trunk lids are stock, but have the little rubber black molding part "filled out." I didn't want to mess with it. On a black car, you can't tell. On a white car...a piece of electrical tape strung across it would make it look good. Remember...race car...not show car stuff here
smile.gif

john

Nice of you to write it all down and compile the net change. Most people just start tearing everything out, go to town, and then end up with a big pile of junk. By that time, they say screw it and just write, "I pulled a bunch of junk out."
wink.gif

Thanks Mr. Thorsen ,

That was the idea behind the page. I'm going to rip a lot more out but it's nice to know what benefit you get for each additional step along the way. I'm going to weigh the whole car soon and pull the bumpers as well. We'll see if the new exhaust is lighter too.

I scraped the asphalt sound-detaning sh*t out from under my rear seat and on the wheel wells. I also removed a little bit from my trunk. I used (don't remember name of tool) one of those tools you use to remove a section of wood from a doorway to fit in a door hinge. Or you could use a wide flathead screwdriver. Total weight savings: 7.5 lbs. Not bad for a 1 hour diet!

number3

"Wood Chisel"

Teet: How much would you charge for 1 hood for a racing application, and would you mind posting up a pic or 2?
smile.gif
I need to loose weight, if you guys know where to find a carbon fiber hood, or who can make one, that would be great! Thanks in advance for any and all info!

Be patient Matt and see what comes from the guy in Denver who's working on a CF mold with the vents. Hopefully he's more accurate and honest than the kid from Cal. that made the last one though.
Micah.

teet

the fiberglass ones I have been thinking would be 450 plus shipping.

I could make a carbon fiber one...theoretically...but it would be more like 850. true 100% carbon, vacumm bagged with epoxy resin.

http://www.oregonrally.com/gallery/?display=2001%20Wild%20West%2F264_morning_prep.jpg

http://www.oregonrally.com/gallery/?display=2001%20Wild%20West%2F264_parc_expose.jpg

That hood is the same design...but out of a different mold...I made one mold...and one hood and it sucked. I made another mold...and another hood and it sucked. I made ANOTHER mold...and another hood, had an issue with the layup. I will be making a carbon hood in a month or so for the new car.

john

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts