The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Just got some figures from my datalogger and it seems bad.

jnava

Staff member
I've got these odd figures that show 43 knock with 26 degrees of timing. I dunno if its phantom knock but the ecu is compensating. I think I'm going to start with the plugs and probably just replace them. They are fairly new, about 5 months old but they were the brp7ne? Plus the wires are upgraded accel. I'm going ahead and change those up. I know I've had slight hiccups but this is just not good. Any other suggestions before I jump forward with this situation. I wasn't sure if I should buy a datalogger and now I know that it's an essential tool to understand what's going on in the engine/ecu. This definitely stops me in my tracks and sets me back. I'm going to Orlando in Oct. and the Galant is going to go but I have to be sure it's healthy enough to run straight from Tex. To Fla. in a single shot. Get back at me.

Last edited:

yeti

I'm preety sure your knock sensor is shot does it read 43 degrees of knock/retard all the time , like from start up until shut down?

I'm preety sure that much knock would of had physical damage by now.

Check base timing to test if knock sensor is bad. (I think.)

Barnes

You can get a full knock count and not waste the motor, assuming the computer pulls timing. However you won't want to do it for long.

What other information about your setup can you provide? What boost does this occur at? Throttle position? Etc.

Have you visually inspected your knock sensor? I recommend you do that *first* before you blindly replace parts.

And yes, you need a logger to own these cars. (IMO)

AnotherNewb

Quoting yeti:
I'm preety sure your knock sensor is shot does it read 43 degrees of knock/retard all the time , like from start up until shut down?

Often gives advice yet seldom takes it. How are you going to diagnose and try to help with someone elses problems when you can't fix your own? Stop giving advice on things you don't understand and when you wont take the suggestions given to you. All you are doing is regurgitating information given to that you don't understand yourself.

OP, check out yeti's post on 'am I ready for e85'... everything you need to start diagnosing your problem is in there, 5 times...

jnava

Staff member
Barnes...10-4

jnava

Staff member
AnotherNewb, Yeah, that thread clearly explains all the steps I need to do to try to essentially diagnose my issue. Thanks for the info.

yeti

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Quoting yeti:

Often gives advice yet seldom takes it. How are you going to diagnose and try to help with someone elses problems when you can't fix your own? Stop giving advice on things you don't understand and when you wont take the suggestions given to you. All you are doing is regurgitating information given to that you don't understand yourself.

OP, check out yeti's post on 'am I ready for e85'... everything you need to start diagnosing your problem is in there, 5 times...

Mmmm

jnava

Staff member
Well, I started with the simple things which was using a better octane and viola, no knock through a pull in third until I let off. Now, I had to take this in consideration, the last few days have been in the 100 degree weather. Plus today, its around 80 something and it felt cooler. BTW, is premium supposed to be the fuel for our cars or is it by choice?

jnava

Staff member
It says unleaded and I assumed it meant regular. My 2007 Turbo Pt Cruiser Vert. actually uses regular unleaded. That's why I made that mistake.

Barnes

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

jnava

Staff member
Seriously.....I thought everyone running on 93octane was an upgrade to use for new fuel maps on an eprom chip...damn

jnava

Staff member
Jesus Christ, I just looked at my owners manual and I misread it. It states " all cars except those with turbo charged engines" use 87.......whhoooops...I thought I was having some serious issues. Thanks, gotta love this newb section.

Launch

Your using regular 87 oct? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif pistons like to do the boom!boom!

FlyingEagle

Staff member
Many, many, many cars whether forced induction or naturally aspirated have required high octane = read >87 octane fuel, for many decades now.
I think enough has been stated in the above posts to concede that this was a freak moment in your mind, I have had lots of those moments
with cars and modifying them over my lifetime. Just chalk this up to, "I will never forget this moment", and move ahead.

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
I filled up yesterday at a local Texaco and my knock just went crazy, I wonder if their gas was a lower octane even though they were selling it as premium. Then i had some readings that specifically hit 43knock and would stay and not change. I'm going to change the knock sensor. It is so random when it appears. So I see my timing go crazy and what not. So I'm going to change it anyway.

AnotherNewb

If the goo is melted on your knock sensor it is bad and should be changed.
Also, I know in my area we get a lot of water on our gas. I had a gas station down the road from me that would pump the water out of their tanks after a long hard rain. Perhaps a bottle of drygas this tank and go to a different brand gas station after verifying base timing and a good knock sensor. I have always trusted chevron.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned