The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator Failure?

My alternator seems to have failed after hours of stop and go driving. Voltage is now in the 10.x range while running.

I know there is a 100 amp fuse to check and that is fine. Is there anything else to check before I go through the fun of changing my alternator AGAIN. Not looking forward to pulling the radiator and draining coolant every 5k miles since I have an external wastegate. The alternator is an NSA and worked just fine for 11 months/5k miles.

Thanks.

misterfixit

Sounds like the alternator has crapped out. Mines just done the exact same thing after spending weeks putting the car together. Does the charge warning light come on when the ignition is initailly turned on? If not then the diode pack has taken a poo. Mine was showing a loaded battery voltage of 8.7v! the radio, clock and horns were all on the fritz. I pulled the connectors and the clocks and belled out all the wiring and that was sound.

Sorry,

Rich

Thanks for the info...didn't check that light and don't have the car with me but I will. Mine died after trying to get the folks in the carpool home (around here it is organized hitchiking called slugging). Took over 2 hours to go 60 miles with an unsprung 6 puck clutch. After taking my slugs to the commuter lot and then taking myself home I noticed that the seatbelts were going back and forth on their own. Noticed some detonation along the way (fuel pump not getting enough voltage).

jnava

Staff member
Do the heatshield or get a better alt. Or do the jay racing mod.

Not even sure what the heatshield looks like or where it goes. Just posted about that. Alternator is still under warranty so I'll go all out to protect it this time.

jnava

Staff member
Just get them to give your money and tell them you want to upgrade to a better Alternator. Like a Bosch.

makedollarz

You should be able to unbolt the 4 radiator bracket bolts at the top and pull the radiator up and to the right to make enough room to pull out the alternator. I've changed mine a few times this way and saves the extra hassle of draining the coolant.

Well I have tried 2 remanned denso alternators and it still isn't charging. 100 amp fuse is good.

Any ideas what the heck?

turbofonz

Get another.

Most parts store rebuilds plain SUCK.

turbofonz

Rebuilt buy denso, or Denso cores?

I've honestly had one or two instances when the reman'd alternator died within a day.

jnava

Staff member
Get a Bosch, I daily drive in 103 degree weather and no failure . It's gonna cost but the old saying, you get what you pay for is possibly true with our alternators. I would think Denso was a better quality. Maybe some wiring issues are the problem.u

I think the problem was the tension not being right on the pulley. I tested it out with half the car apart because this is what is required in my case. Radiator definitely has to come out with External Wastegate and dump.

I let the belt squeak away for a few seconds and then the voltage shot up to the 14.2 volt range.

Thanks everyone.

GSX_TC

Quoting turbofonz:
Rebuilt buy denso, or Denso cores?

I've honestly had one or two instances when the reman'd alternator died within a day.

Jesus Christ are u serious? Dam that's horrible. My reman'd alternators have been performing great since I've bought them. It's been a very long time to.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned