The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

compressor outlet gasket question

AnotherNewb

Any kind will do. What color is your J-pipe? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AnotherNewb

I will use a light film of sealer on the j pipe side of the gasket, but I have successfully sealed turbo outlets without a gasket using only sealer. One more tip is I like to let the silicone set up for a little bit, like 15 min before installing the gasket. It allows it to " thicken" a bit and prevents it from squeezing out. Remember, I said thin film. If it squeezes out your using too much.

RTV is for sealing connections without a gasket.

Gasket sealant is for sealing paper gaskets.

Either use just RTV or the paper gasket with sealant. For pressurized connections I prefer to use a paper gasket with sealant.

yeti

Ok I used just the gasket it was a metal gasket so I don't know.
I got pictures of it, it bolted up and fine and sealed it but kinda blocked the flow of the turbo outlet (visually)
Should I post pics I'm not very sure if it will effect the flow that much.
It covering the turbo outlet by about a half inch maybe less

jepherz

Staff member
Are you sure you put it on the correct way? The outlet of the turbo isn't directly centered with relation to the two bolt holes...

turbofonz

I haven't used a gasket there in years. Just RTV it. But yeah, that gasket isn't on the right way.

yeti

Quoting turbofonz:
I haven't used a gasket there in years. Just RTV it. But yeah, that gasket isn't on the right way.

Really rtv is that strong??
I know it says you can on the package , but I still wondered.

524of1000

I've only used RTV there. Granted I only push about 17psi at the moment, I've yet to have a boost leak there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts