The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

idle isue---video

yeti

PLEASE ANY IDEAS HELP ...

BEFORE idle SETTLES it surges up to 2200rpms before then stops surging and regulates down to 900-RPMs BEFORE ITS WARM

ALSO ONCE IDLE STOPS SURGING AND IS REGULATED IF YOU TOUCH THROTTLE CAR STALLS.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED
heres a cold start
click

and then once warm

click

Check the base air idle screw on the throttle body... I've had the one in a dsm i used to drive come out somehow and it idled rediculously low....It was summer time when this happend so it never really was a cold start.

1990ggsxnj

Slightly difficult to understand what you're trying to say from lack of periods.
So, what you're saying is the idle is high when you start it but almost dies when warmed up?
So what have you done so far to resolve this issue? Idle Adjustment per vfaq? Logger data? Boost leak test?
If all that checks out ok you may want to look into FIAV blockoff HERE

I just turned it down as far as it would go and JB Welded it. 3 vehicles now that idle like a dream. Rerouted the coolant hoses as well so they no longer go through the throttle body so there is no chance of coolant leaking into were it shouldn't be.

Last edited:

yeti

ya sorry for messed up post im using an on screen keyboard.

ya idles really high wen cold start and than about a few minutes starts surging up to 2200rpm.

then once warm will regulate down to 800rpms, then once hot almost always die if you touch the throttle

524of1000

I say you're running lean and most likely have an intake leak somewhere. Do a boost leak test to find where.

yeti

I stil have a bad TPS, CEL code-14.

And I got a bltester in the mail on the way

I was told I need a new o ring gasket on the idle adjustment screw.

And to pressurize the whole system I put the bltester on the turbo inlet then take off tb elbow and plug that?

yeti

And none of the vfaq was tryed just the lazy good for nothing visual inspection on all the couplers is about the only thing I've tried

The lazy, good for nothing stuff doesn't fix these cars. These steps need addressed if you intend on diagnosing this problem. BLT and idle adjustment via vfaq does wonders for these kind of problems. Corrected 1947's crazy idle. GL

yeti

I know it doesent fix anything, hence the "good for nothing".

But thx for the advice I will be adressing all the ways to PROPERLY do this once the package gets here. For now ill read some vfaq till it gets here.

yeti

I got a video after I hooked up my boost gauge looks like I get 15 vaccum and about 5lbs of boost so I'm geussing definate boost leak

You won't make boost just sitting there and revving the engine. Go drive the car and see what the boost guage does doing a 3rd or 4th gear pull.

1990ggsxnj

With the car possibly running lean than doing a "pull" in any gear is a bad idea. If you're going to post more videos make it of your results doing the basics that were already described to you.

yeti

Got the. Bltester in the mail it didn't fit so I got my homemade one tightened up on the turbo inlet now I just need an air compressor also one more question do I need to plug pcv tube and other tubes that came from intake

yeti

Ok little update

I got an air compressor and hookup up my bltester the farthest I got testing was the turbo outlet to jpipe. Gasket. It was busted in half
The whole 20lbs of air was just rushing all out of the turbo outlet to jpipe spot just wondering where did everyone get that gasket I went to all the auto shops and they said the stealership

1990ggsxnj

You can get one at a dealership or buy it from one of the various DSM/VR4 mod supporting sites such as DSMParts.com or ExtremePSI.com.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts