The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

will an safc help me with fuel cut

yeti

I need 2 get this handled cause I can't even go up hills in second gear with out hitting full boost and bogging out

If that won't help any suggestions

Barnes

Define 'bogging out'. Also, if the car is still moving and it doesn't feel like you hit a brick wall, you probably aren't actually hitting fuel cut.

steve

^ And also, no it wont help fuel cut. Fuel cut is imposed by the ECU when the MAF sees more air coming in than the car should reasonably be capable of handling in stock configuration. The only way around it is to socket and chip your ECU.

But I'm not convinced you're experiencing fuel cut.

mitsuturbo

*IF* you use a SAFC to "add" fuel (thus telling the ECU there is MORE hz of airflow) you will actually hit fuel cut SOONER.

I highly doubt you are experiencing fuel cut. It's far more likely that you may have bad/disconnected knock sensor, or an ECU problem.

Describe your "fuel cut" and how much boost you are seeing on a gauge, please.

Also, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, list EVERYTHING about the car that is not STOCK.

Last edited:

steve

And also, love the sig, I'm glad to see you embracing the title so quickly and eagerly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

yeti

I dig the turbohair. ~~tryin 2 get a decal

Anyways I'm to retarded and can't hook up a boost gauge my stock boost sensor goes to full boost before I feel any boost at all

the best way I can describe the fuel cut is as soon as I start to actually feel the boost it makes a really loud slam(is why I feel bad every time I drive it) and stops boosting then cuts in and cuts out

Will a vpc help with fuel cut?
And one more how much to get ecu chipped and socketed

yeti

Not stock items (to my knowledge)
16g turbo 3 inch exhaust no cat...hks BOV (uncirculated)....custom front mount
....(suposedly forged pistons) and I think that's it

yeti

Bogging out as in

I'm on the hiway in 5th and can't go faster than 70 without building full boost(on stock gauge).
And if you try and go faster is starts to cut out and go slower then if you floor it ...the loud slam hits and is not fun

Also can't shift into second while going up a hill with out the car start to cut out(while the stock boost gauge is full)

And where would knock sensor be located any where I could check

And southcalivr4 told me it was fuel cut while he was driving the car( he seems preety smart bout these cars)

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

Quoting yeti:
...hks BOV... (uncirculated).... and I think that's it

Kill him in his face!!!

Recirculate, problems solved.

steve

Kinda sounds like a misfire. 5th gear, up hill, boosting... heavy load and a misfire.

yeti

Misfire is from plugs or wires right?

I need to find a flange thing to recirculate
Or I could use stock bov unless that's hard to find

yeti

And why can't I uncirculate I've seen other cars that are uncirculated without my problems just wondering is there something u need to do if your gonna make uncirculated

Barnes

You have to recirculate your BOV on a car with a MAS like ours. Unless you switch to a speed-density air metering system, you *really* need to recirculate your BOV.

steve

Your air is being metered by the MAS as it gets sucked in towards the turbo. All of that air has to stay in the system, because the ECU has provided enough fuel for that much air. If you let any of it out, the ECU does not know this.

If you want to vent to atmosphere, we will kill you in the face. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Or you have to switch to a different metering system which wont meter the air until it is actually headed to the TB such as a GM MAF in blow-thru configuration. Or a VPC I believe.

Quoting yeti:
Misfire is from plugs or wires right?

Yes, it is something ignition-related. When I had a misfire under heavy load it was the plug gapped too far.

Last edited by a moderator:

boostedinaz

First things first.

GO to VFAQ.com and read, then read some more, then read it again just because.

Second do a boost leak test on the car to see if you have any. They can give the car the issues you are describing. Check the plugs and wires to makes sure they are in good condition and gapped correctly. Make sure the car has sufficient voltage and that the alt or battery are not dead or dying. Not enough voltage will lead to missing under boost. Check the knock sensor to make sure the goo is still in it. It is behind the motor under the inatek manifold.

You will also need to get a REAL boost guage. The stock gauges doesn't even read boost it only makes a guess at what boost is by looking at other parameters. If you are running more than stock boost (10psi or so) on stock injectors and fuel pump if could just be knocking and retarding timing a lot. This is bad beyond your current issues, it could kill your motor altogether.

Beofe you ask how to do some of these things read the VFAQ. Most of it will be spelled out with detailed pcitures. When you have done ALL of this repost back with your findings.

mitsuturbo

Quoting yeti:
Bogging out as in

I'm on the hiway in 5th and can't go faster than 70 without building full boost(on stock gauge).
And if you try and go faster is starts to cut out and go slower then if you floor it ...the loud slam hits and is not fun

Also can't shift into second while going up a hill with out the car start to cut out(while the stock boost gauge is full)

And where would knock sensor be located any where I could check

And southcalivr4 told me it was fuel cut while he was driving the car( he seems preety smart bout these cars)

I've seen this problem many times in DSMs with ECUs trying to sh*t the bed. Try swapping in a known good ECU and take it for a ride.

mitsuturbo

Quoting yeti:
And why can't I uncirculate I've seen other cars that are uncirculated without my problems just wondering is there something u need to do if your gonna make uncirculated

You are blowing off air that has already been counted. The fuel to accomodate this air is delivered, creating a very rich condition when said air does NOT reach the engine.

Cars that can (properly) run a bov to atmosphere are metering the air AFTER the bov.

yeti

Quoting boostedinaz:
First things first.

GO to VFAQ.com and read, then read some more, then read it again just because.

Ima do that

yeti

If you are running more than stock boost (10psi or so) on stock injectors and fuel pump if could just be knocking and retarding timing a lot. This is bad beyond your current issues, it could kill your motor altogether.

And u said knock sensor is behind motor underneath intake manifold?
Will there be a picture in manual

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts