The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ABS Issue?

Ok last weekend myself and a friend replaced the to front CV axles on my Galant. We put it back together and everything was just grand, it drove great. Few days later I'm now having an ABS problem. This is kinda weird but if the "antilock" light is on in my cluster the brakes will be fine. Get in the car another time and that light is off the car starts having the problems.

Whats happening is when I start to slow down with the brake pedal pressed in the ABS kicks on and starts to push back. It only happens under 10mph, then it will let off when I'm real close to coming to a stop.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Barnes

Did you loosen or remove then replace the ABS sensor? Did you knock it accidentally?

Muskrat

When the ABS light is on, the ABS system is disabled. That's why your brakes will work then.

Check the wheel speed sensors. I bet one got knocked and isn't aligned properly, or something.

The abs works by reading the high/low points on the ring gear on the hub. If the sensors aren't seeing the same thing, with-in a tolerance, it thinks the wheel is slipping and will try to correct it by applying the brakes (when you try and stop).

Or do what a lot of people do when ABS starts giving them problems. Rip the junk out of there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

I know moved it out of the way then put it back and I may of been bumped it.

Would that be it? Should I just make sure it's all thight?

Edit: does the sensor have to be at a perfect spot?

Aren't there something like three bolts holding the sensor to the hub? If one of those were loose would that cause it?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Muskrat

Check the FSM. Chances are it has a section concerning the ABS sensors and whatever adjustment can be done, etc..
Might even have a troubleshooting section for your problem.

Barnes

In all likelihood that is it. You need to readjust the sensor so it is closer to the ABS ring. I don't know the spec for that however.

Last edited by a moderator:

mitsuturbo

Sometimes, metal shavings and debris builds up on the sensor, or even the ring teeth. If there is enough gap filled on the ring somewhere, or enough crap on the sensor, or a combination of both, a wheel lockup could be falsely detected. Best thing to do is take the sensor out, clean everything the best you can, and give it another go.

Oh, and make DAMN sure your axle nut is TIGHT as it helps hold more things together than just the axle in the hub. If it's not tight, something could be off kilter and causing more problems.

Last edited:

fuel

Would you like to tell us how you solved your issue? So someone who thread dredges in another few years too can learn from your problem & fix?

Breakerrr

And deprive them of the experience of mulling over threads all night long for days...? Sure.
I installed one cv axle from one car which had a gvr4 axle and another one from a dsm after an engine swap. The dsm has fewer teeth than the galant so during braking the ABS ecu saw one wheel slipping therefore activating the system, NEARLY CAUSING AN ACCIDENT (even though it was my oversight). Imagine if a wheel speed sensor failed resulting in the same malfunction...like many others before me have done...get rid of the ABS. Practice braking without it.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Well interesting if that solved your problem, because that theory doesn't apply to 1g /DSM axles because the rings are not on the axles. The teeth for the rotation judgment are on the back of the hubs.

There must have been something else that affected it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned