The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hx35

I was wondering if anyone has made the hx35 work with a stock radiator? Or should I just get a half radiator?

Thanks

Diego

Half radiator is what you'll need or a nice expensive radiator.... I found one on ebay (half radiator) with a fan for like 175 bucks and the fan was a big 12".... same thing I'm going to have to do if I want to work the 50 trim now that I have it forward facing and the wastegate actuator out.... so I'm waiting on funds for one myself

turbowop

I thought the big bonus with the Holsets is that they are cheap. Now I read all these threads about needing a different radiator that is half the size, costs more money, and may or may not work well enough to keep temps down, especially with AC. Doesn't really seem worth the effort at that point, IMO.

OMFGeofffff

It's cheap for the dsm guys. Where they only need to crush the water pipe slightly to clear the holset compressor housing whereas out radiators are much closer so we get zero room. I was looking at my buddys 1g engine bay and I immediately noticed the space between the radiator and turbo. I was like "IT MUST BE NICE!"

I have a 92 plymouth laser and there is a huge difference in the space in the engine bay. Everything is so cramped in the gvr4s.

alansupra94

Quoting turbowop:
I thought the big bonus with the Holsets is that they are cheap. Now I read all these threads about needing a different radiator that is half the size, costs more money, and may or may not work well enough to keep temps down, especially with AC. Doesn't really seem worth the effort at that point, IMO.

This is true but for people that want that kind of power, you will need to do something to add space for a larger turbocharger anyways. For cooling, I suppose you could make up for the lost area by getting a thicker and more efficient core. Dad is always telling me how important tube and fin design is. One thing I haven't seen done yet is a shroud produced for the 1/2 radiator that would effectively push all of the air that would be going around the radiator into it.

I have read on a few forums that these turbos are ridiculously durable and have some of the best spooling characteristics.

I might be trying this in the future but I will need to do more research regarding the cooling system in the GVR4 and possibly radiator options.

4thStroke

Mark, the trade off is worth it for the 2800rpm spool.

Garretts blow, even if their large frame bolts on without any issues, Holset > Garrett for life.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

alansupra94

^^^

What this guy said.

I will definitely do a write up when I do my install after 1000 miles of breaking in this new motor.

turbowop

Quoting 4thStroke:
Mark, the trade off is worth it for the 2800rpm spool.

Garretts blow, even if their large frame bolts on without any issues, Holset > Garrett for life.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowroflr.gif

alansupra94

Oh...I thought the spool did start at 2800rpm for a HX-35. Unless you are referring to the 6 blade model that spools a bit slower.

I must have missed something. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Muskrat

AFAIK there is no 6 blade hx-35. That'd be an hx-40.

They say 20 psi by 3500 with 272 cams. I'll tell you what I get with stock cam's when I finally get the thing installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4thStroke

There are way too many other variables, besides cams, to say that you reach 20psi by 3500rpm.

I'll be anxious to hear/see how your HX35 performs, whether it be from a dyno chart or log of some sort. I've seen people claim full spool by an RPM that would be ungodly for even an E316G.

85tr

I hope to have mine up and running soon with a hx35, and the half radiator is definitely needed . I was expecting spool around 3400-3600 , 2800 seems a bit low.

4thStroke

Even to get it that low, you'll need a well prepped motor. Brianawd's 3052 is the only turbo of that size that legitimately spools that early, early spool is what his motor is built around.

I have plenty of positive pressure well before 4000rpm with my bolt on HTA3076 and a big SMIM, and even in 5th if I load it up I'm at 25psi at 4000rpm, but I'm never going to claim I get full spool that early because it's not a realistic application. 3rd gear from a low RPM cruise is a good measure of when the turbo will reach full spool.

I think a lot of people run their mouths (not pointing fingers here, I see it everywhere) about when they see positive pressure, but that's only part of the story, hence the claims of spool by 2800rpm.

I'm not anti Holset by any means, I'm anti Holset users who try to claim they have the turbo that spools like a 16G and holds that pressure up to 8000rpm. It's going to be one or the other, it can't be both. Brians car spools ridiculously quick, but runs out of steam wayyyyy before mine.

If I see a log that proves otherwise, I'll hop on the wagon.

alansupra94

Quoting Muskrat:
AFAIK there is no 6 blade hx-35. That'd be an hx-40.

They say 20 psi by 3500 with 272 cams. I'll tell you what I get with stock cam's when I finally get the thing installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You are 100% correct. Sorry, must have been real late.

And to 4th Stroke, I saw a few threads on DSMtuners where people claimed 2800rpm spooling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I guess thats all hearsay too.

Although I will be attempting to make one of these to use with my Holset turbo. I will basically use this with a with an undivided manifold. Supra community has had some good success with this setup.

click

I will be sure to post my data and not exaggerate it like tuners does. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Last edited:

4thStroke

Just remember that the Supras have a larger displacement. Logs are the most useful.

Positive manifold pressure/starting to spool and spool are different things.

What are you using to tune?

Last edited:

alansupra94

Quoting 4thStroke:
Just remember that the Supras have a larger displacement. Logs are the most useful.

Positive manifold pressure/starting to spool and spool are different things.

What are you using to tune?

I will be using DSMlink although if I see a good deal on AEM or Motec I might get it.

Where did I say I was going to run a tubular setup?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned