The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

458/1000 rehab - now jdm pretty

trunks

Hello everyone. I picked up this car from a member and great guy a couple months ago and have been working on it since. I bought it with a blown head gasket and could have just replaced that, but the paint peeling on the doors and it had some rust on the under carriage so I kept getting deeper and deeper into it. I'm hoping to get it nice enough to get into the member showcase so I figured I had better get my post count going /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Like many, I am a dsm veteran and know a little about what I'm doing.

Anyway here's what I've done so far:

-Removed both subframes and sprayed por15 on the entire underbelly, gas tank, and any exposed part of the car
-Polyurethane mounts on both subframes
-Stainless steel -6 an fuel lines both ways
-New GR2 shocks and refurbished the rusted whiteline springs
-New yoke joints and carrier bearings on the driveshaft
-AWS delete - I wanted to save it but it was just too rusted
-Redone fuel pump since the line rusted off - walbro 255 with inline bosch 044

I'm in the process of sanding it down for paint. I'm also rewiring the fuel pump. I've got some '93 headlights for it and a 89 grill.

The new engine was purchased from darkside on this site with 8 miles on it. I've purchased a stainless race intake, 68hta, evo exhaust manifold, competition clutch, and a larger fmic. I'm going to make my own 3 inch exhaust for the first time so we'll see how that goes. My goal is to reach 400 to 450 whp on e85 for this dd daycare taker / grocery getter.

Here are some photos of the work so far.

I'm hoping to fire it up within a month but we'll see if I make that. It's already taken way longer than I hoped but I guess that's how these things go - having a 2 year old a 6 month old around doesn't help much either. I'll be posting on my progress as I go along and probably asking for some help from time to time!

Last edited:

Nartanian

Wow, great job on what you've done so far. Definitely keep us posted. Really curious to see what that 68hta can do on some corn gas.

Good work so far. Sounds like your on the right track to a clean but powerful daily. Good luck and definitely keep us posted.
BTW. That's a 92 grille, and are you keeping the rims blue?

Last edited by a moderator:

trunks

I'm going back and forth on the rims. I've got metallic silver paint for the body which would probably look good with the blue rims but I kind of want to go with a more classic 5 star style rim on it.

trunks

I finally got the fuel pump rewire done today. I also ran a lines and cables for an amplifier if I want to add some sound later, which I'm sure I will. I've been sanding for a while now. I don't think I'll be painting anytime soon since the highs have been 50 or less lately. But knowing MN weather, it could change real quickly.

The car looks kind of sad now, but I can see the outcome everytime I stare at it with a drink in my hand - which is often /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

trunks

Just an update - I'm hoping to get it painted this Wednesday. They are saying almost 80 degrees so I'm going to take the day off and go for it. I soaked the engine bay with simple green and power washed it and it cleaned up nice. I'm leaving the cruise control box, brake reservior, etc on there because the bolts are so rusted the I know they'll just break off. It's going to make painting more interesting, but I'm tired of snapping bolts.

When I started pulling of the plastic molding I found more rust and a couple of holes on the sheet metal underneath. So I bought more por 15 and kinda went crazy. The frame still looked okay, so I sprayed a bunch of it in there and then closed them up with a fiberglass patch and resin. I hope that stops it. While at it, I also got the doors where some less serious rust was starting too. I know it's way overkill but I really hate rust!

Is that an escalade and a 2g in the background? If so.....thats ballin status! What did you say you do for a living.....aw wait...you didn't. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

trunks

2g yes. Cadillac no. - that's a Dodge Ram in the background. Sorry to disappoint. I do own 2 2nd gens if that helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.

trunks

I took Thursday off as it was 80 degrees and low humidity to paint the car. Twelve straight hours with my hvlp gun was pretty tiring. This is the second car I've painted and this time I got the clear to lay down pretty smooth. I do have some runs though that I'll be fixing. I also forgot to paint the mirrors so I've got a little more painting to do.

I thought it was too sparkly at first but once I pulled the tape I'm pretty happy with it. These photos don't do it justice so I'll probably take some tomorrow in the daylight. I hope I don't get in too much trouble on here for the non-stock color!

trunks

I also forgot to ask if anyone knows the part numbers for the white and the black clips for the door facia and skirts? I bought some 94 and up fastners that are round and they don't fit the square slots at all.

trunks

I've managed to get transfer the 264 cams from the old engine to the new one. I also installed some L19 headstuds just to be on the safe side. Hopefully this weekend the engine will be back where it belongs.

gtride

Nice JOB!!!

did you paint it silver???

Soon you'll have a fast DD. Keep us updated

trunks

Yeah, it's metallic silver that I think looks pretty good so far. I saw one on here somewhere that color that I liked a lot so I went for it.

trunks

I finally got the engine back in Friday night. Installed the Fidanza flywheel and Competition stage 4 clutch. Bigger front mount is on as well. I was up until 3 am but got it done - couldn't start until my sick daughter went to sleep at nine. Still had to have a beer after I was finished. All shock assemblies are in, once I get the calipers painted I should be able to put wheels on it and drop it.

Diego

looks great man... wanna lay down some new nile black paint on mine.... with some metallic flake. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Looks very good.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts