The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ski Rack Question?

hey everyone i`m getting ready to make myself a ski/snowboard rack for the galant and i was wondering if the car already has mounting locations underneath the rubber stripping on the roof?

thanks

Barnes

Make yourself one? Have you considered buying a used one? They aren't uncommon.

Yeah but money not really on my side, i have access to a tubing bender and a Tig welder so i think i can make myself a pretty nice one myself. Are there mounting holes for one Stock?

cspetros

The Thule rack I have has "clamps" that latch on to metal rails located beneath the plastic roof trim. It holds extremely well. There aren't any holes under the trim, just the rails. Be careful when removing the trim, if you haven't already. The clips tend to be on the brittle side. Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'd use the trunk and the ski door for a board or ski's before I messed with fabricating the roof.

Or you could save your money for a Thule.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

Using the ski hole sucks. Besides the fact that modern skis are super wide now and you could hardly even fit one pair through the hole, they also end up resting on the center console and you have to use the skis as the armrest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Then there is dealing with the snow melting all over the interior on the way home because it's impossible to get it all off the skis after a powder day.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Those are all good points wop.
I retract my last post.......just get a Thule and be done with it.

Barnes

Does powder actually exist in West Virgina or Virgina (OP's location)? I was under the impression that the second the snow hits the ground it turns into hard packed.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

DailyDSM

I have a Thule that I've had forever and still need to install. I still don't know if I feel comfortable carrying a $700 board on the roof for long trips. Mainly due to road debris as I really doubt the board would actually fall off.

turbowop

I have three pairs of skis I regularly bring up to the mountain with me, probably $1500 worth of equipment on the roof. I've never had an issue with road debris damaging my stuff.

thecman02

Yeah about the worst damage my boards have received on top of my car was a little rust on the edges from some salt hitting it.

Powder definitely exists in WV. Out of the 3 resorts in WV, I find that Cannane valley has the best powder. Packed, icy crap happens more around the off season times (synthetic snow from the machines). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

I would like to see some pics of this supposed powder in WV. I would think that one of our storms dumps enough snow to cover WV's seasonal average. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsdunno.gif

Last edited:

Were definitely not WA or nothing, but definitely get our share of snow. Especially in the Appalachian's. Powder included. We haven't seen any snow yet,but I'm sure we will. I'm suppose to take a trip up this winter with my cousin and fam. If and when we do, I'll be happy to snap a couple pics.

As to chromeglocks response, I don't ski, I snow board. I suck on ski's. I could of swore we had this convo before. Back when we had the "there's no way I can skate" convo. Must your good memory /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Google it.......I'm sure there are pics somewhere on the net. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Adorsey

jeezz.. all I want to do right now is snowboard, during the winter im always at MountSnow or Okemo. Now I have this damn knee injury an I will be out all season /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Is anyone here like really good at Skiing or Boarding? Like pro, semi pro, or just sponcered?
Any videos you wanna share? pics?

Not pro for sure........but I can hold my own.
That's sucks about your knee bro......sorry to here that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

thecman02

Sometimes there's powder here in the lower part of the lower peninsula, but we regularly get out west definition of powder in some of the northern mi resorts. We just don't have big enough hills to compete. With that said I want to go out west BAD!

turbowop

Brian and I went up yesterday with some other friends to Mt.Hood Meadows and were greeted by whiteout conditions and crazy winds. We got two runs in before they shut down operations. The snow was awesome though, sucked having to leave.

Look at all that snow on the fallen tree Brian hit:

944b0b332dc96ac.jpg

Me standing in the blizzard:

944b0b332d9d2d5.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts