The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wheel bearing/hub/axle round 3 post

mikus

I have teh grindy sound on forward & left movement, it goes away on right turn - so I assume it's the psgr side wheel bearing.

Not much for wheel play on that side - tight all around. I did notice the psgr axle boot is torn though, and that axle has maybe 3/8-1/2" of axial play between trans/hub. Driver side axle seems to have zero play.

I'm figuring to do the axle first, then bearing/hub if still grindy. Or maybe I should just do both axle/bearing while it's off.

My questions (this round) are:
- can axles/CV's grind? I've only had 'clicks' before. Or maybe axle issues caused bearing issues...
- any other diagnosis step for wheel bearing? Eg, when I do the axle, will it be apparant by rotating/feeling out the bearing then? (I've only done a couple bearings, and they were quite obvious)
- can *I* easily tell if my wheel hub got chewed up and needs to be replaced, or would the shop pressing a bearing in tell me that? Is that truly common? I have been driving with grinds for a few months /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

thanks in advance again, for any and all help/comments

Last edited:

Terry Posten

If the noise goes away when turning, I would lay my bet on the axle.

The bearings can be tested the same way you test a ball joint.

Jack the car up and remove all weight from wheel. Lay down under car and have a friend grab the tire and wiggle side-to-side all around and watch for movement at the ball joint and at the axle hole.

If you see ANY movement (other than steering movement), then you have a problem at that point.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I usually do load-changing turns and the noise variation will reveal itself at the offending bearing.

mikus

I have to do an axle, torn boot, play, it's getting done. Question then is -

Do I do the axle, reassemble and see if the wheel is still grinding? (key point of this is perhaps, do axles MAKE grinding noise?_)

Or do I just do the wheel bearing and axle all at once, since I'm in there? (obviously yes is the best answer, but trying to be cost conservative. There's no wheelplay to indicate wheel bearing issues and the wheel bearings were listed as done fairly recently.

Last edited:

Quote:
There's no wheelplay to indicate wheel bearing issues and the wheel bearings were listed as done fairly recently.

Yes, I had all new wheel bearings presed in not too long ago. Usually you can just jack the car up, grab the wheel and shake it. When they were worn I had quite a bit of play/clunking.

mikus

Thanks for confirming Jeff -

I think I'll have a go at the axle only for now, see what happens.

while you have the axle out and brakes and rotor off just spin the hub. if the bearing is bad it will not spin smoothly and will have a notchy feel. That is the best way to check the wheel bearing. If the axle and brakes and all are in it is hard to get a good feel if it is the bearing but since you will have that off to do the axle anyways make sure to check that

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts