GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » Newbies » Re: help doing engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Gal
Previous thread Next thread

Re: help doing engine swap in my '92 eagle 2000 GTX ('92 Gal

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 789510 posted 05/08/09 01:03 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
lol nice. you know if you actualy look closer at the beast, you can see that it used to be red. looks like it was just painted over flat black spray paint.

Long live the Grandaddy of the EVO!

Posts: 192 | From: Lacombe, Alberta | Member Since: 04/28/09 | IP: (99.252.9.12) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 789514 posted 05/08/09 01:12 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
thanks guys.
anyway, im peace out.
...its like 3:10 am here.

zzzzzzz....

Posts: 192 | From: Lacombe, Alberta | Member Since: 04/28/09 | IP: (99.252.9.12) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 790484 posted 05/11/09 12:01 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
oh, btw i checked out the tail light that you mentioned, and its not realy the best looking. apperantly its go a crack or something in the back that has let in some condensation. its all wet inside.
didnt get a chance to work on my car this weekend, but i will be continueing tomorrow (hopefully) and ill take some more pics of the progress then.

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 790499 posted 05/11/09 12:45 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quote:

didnt get a chance to work on my car this weekend

Me neither. It's been raining torrentially the past couple of days in this region. I put a tarp on the ground under the car in hopes of staying dry, but I was soaked in minutes. To hell with that. It's time to clean out the garage

Posts: 512 | From: Asheville upon NC | Member Since: 07/19/08 | IP: (72.71.125.191) | Report this post to a Moderator

THEKID
THE CAR HAVE MANY THINS FOR RACE U INTEREST CALL ME
416/2000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 790768 posted 05/11/09 06:21 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
the first motor from jdm engine depot if that's the depot in Patterson nj dont buy from them i know them personally and they are shady as all hell they have ripped off so many local shops its ridiculous.

KID
416/2000
2000 ford explorer sport
2009 lancer ralliart lost it in the divorce
some of my work

Posts: 302 | From: bergen county nj | Member Since: 05/18/08 | IP: (69.116.32.155) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 790864 posted 05/11/09 11:16 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
im now only realy considering the one from jdm montreal for engines.

now... build update!

so as i was saying, i have the car up on blocks now.
i started removing the rack and pinion, but didnt quite get it done today.
turns out, it cant slide out the side, but it seems like it will be able to come down straight, i just need to remove a couple more things.

this is under my car.
looks ok, but it turns out it had a few surprises for me.
this car was undercoated... about 17 years ago.
most of the rust is just surface.

this is what happens when you try to unscrew 17 year old bolts, out of rusted out metal.
now i have a gapeing hole.
gonna find a way to somehow get that mounted back up... eventualy.

this peice, and several other smaller peices, easily came off from around my gas tank. it comes appart like braking semi hard cookies. mmmm... cookies.

can someone please explain this?
anyone care to guess?
lol, it goes 'ting' when you flick it, and is commonly found on street signs.

if you guessed, galvanized pipe, you would be correct.
here i was, looking under my car, then some silver metal caught my attention from the rest of the rusty under body. at first i was like.. huh?
and then after further investigation, i thought, omg, why is there a two foot length of galvanized pipe stuck right in the middle of my exaust?
there was not one rust spot on it anywhere! i was like, well thats different...
anyone ever seen this done before? i thought it was halarious!

well, thats it for today, but hopefuly, ill have the rack out tomorrow.
ill post a pic of that, and hopefuly i can get started on the body, and get a pic or two of that too.

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 790868 posted 05/11/09 11:35 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Woosky, just out of curiosity... how bad is the rust? Where is it at, and is it eating though important parts, like the suspension areas, etc? Not even Cookie Monster wants those kind of cookies lol
Nice fix on that exhaust pipe. You'll never ever have to replace that section .

Posts: 512 | From: Asheville upon NC | Member Since: 07/19/08 | IP: (72.71.125.191) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 790869 posted 05/11/09 11:39 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
the suspension areas (like the shock towers) are rock solid. no rust at all.
and everything else is still very sturdy.

oh, and apperantly that exaust pipe got a hole in it years ago, so my parents got it repaired. now, i wonder who thought to replace it with that? lol

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 790873 posted 05/11/09 11:46 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
^^Good. I've seen VR4's on the board here that have had to be parted out due to rust issues. It is not pretty. You may now proceed with making it awesome You're making a lot of progress on this. Also, you might be interested to know that this thread is in 5th place at the moment for highest number of views in the newbies section. You're being watched (no worries).

Edited by cspetros (05/11/09 11:54 PM)

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 791463 posted 05/12/09 11:58 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
alright, so this is what i got done today...

btw, these are my shock towers.
i would say they look good.

ok, now onto progress.

finaly removed the rack and pinion.

lesson for the day! old bolts brake easily!
i swear, i must have broken all but 3 of the bolts i took out!

and one of those bolts didnt even come out.
that bolt head turned into a circle, instead of being a hexagon.
i ended up just bending it down out of the way.

i find out the steering rack had been replaced before!
you cant get any quality at a junk yard these days...

these fenders arent looking too healthy...

and this is all the same fender.
with so much rust eaten right thru, im probably gonna have to just replace it.

and this spot is further down the car, below the back door.
its not as bad... but its still not good...

next on the list...
- keep finding rust
- start working on the rust
- get more money (that alwais helps)
- get parts needed (eventualy)

and with that i leave you my dream car...

and my dream car tuned...

(actualy i should update that... my rims would be black, with the red pin stripe)
(and i'd prbly loose the decal, but idk, i kinda like it)

ill try to post any more progress (if any) tomorrow.

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 791523 posted 05/13/09 01:41 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Coolness. There's going to be some bodywork going on. This might help:
Body rust

I'm not sure if they sell it in NB but there's this stuff called "PB Blaster", it's a penetrating oil in a spray can that works wonders on rusted bolts and stuff. Get a can of it, or I'll send you one . It might improve your bolt removal success. What are you using to remove them(wrenches, sockets, etc)?

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 791619 posted 05/13/09 09:43 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
yeah, i never heard of that stuff.
that would be some good stuff to have.
ill see if i can find any around here, but ive never seen it around here before.

i use a socket wrench, aka a ratchet.

and it always turns out one of three ways... it turns, it slips, or it brakes.

91gsxz3
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 794865 posted 05/21/09 03:15 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
so woosky what mods did you decide to go with? i have a galant gsx thats i'm moddify and am not going to turbo for awhile

| | | IP: (76.103.26.71) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 794977 posted 05/21/09 11:16 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
well, i beleive im gonna stick with the DOHC non turbo engine.

unfortunately i havent been able to work on my car at all this week.

altho i just made a purchase for both front fenders for $150 shipped.
they should be arriving in a week or so.

and im pending a buy for the tail light, and two door latches, but the guy doesnt realy want to seperate the sets. i dont need the entire thing!

next i would be looking for a rad, and i may have someone that will sell one to me cheap.

the more expensive stuff like the rack, the ecu, the wiring harness, and the engine, will have to come later when i finaly start that seccond job with my parents, and get the money to pay for them. but all in due time.

me starting this second job with them is realy gonna limit the time i can work on the rest of that body rust.... but at least ill have money for the parts.

maroonmetallic
VR4sRus at the old school frosty stop
710/1000

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 795026 posted 05/22/09 06:20 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
It looks like you have your work cut out for you.
Im kinda shocked I havent replied to this build post before.

Regardless, I think sticking w/ a N/T engine is the best route.
I'm not too sure how much hp the N/T automatic trans can handle but I doubt it's
as much as a turbo trans.

Best of luck w/ the build I'll be following it as I have one of my own.

-Shawn

---'92 GVR4 710/1000 (alive 8/2014)
---'12 Forester (DD)
---'92 Galant LS *gone*
---'92 Galant GSR *parted out*
---'93 Galant LS *gone*
---'93 Galant S *parted out*
---'92 Colt (63 swap) *sold*

Posts: 2084 | From: central WI | Member Since: 06/10/04 | IP: (65.27.75.126) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 795062 posted 05/22/09 09:54 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
nice car! love the color.

my car is manual transmition, and fwd.
and yeah i considered the turbo trany.
but ill stick with na.

fivestardsm
"Savior of the damned and dis-owned"

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 795068 posted 05/22/09 10:17 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Quoting maroonmetallic:

It looks like you have your work cut out for you.
Im kinda shocked I havent replied to this build post before.

Regardless, I think sticking w/ a N/T engine is the best route.
I'm not too sure how much hp the N/T automatic trans can handle but I doubt it's
as much as a turbo trans.

Best of luck w/ the build I'll be following it as I have one of my own.

-Shawn

Just so you know, the auto trans in the SOHC's are very week. Not sure if they are the same internals as the DSM's but even then, those were junk crap also. Of course, I might be a little biased concidering I have ruined so many of them.

VR4 Picture Post

Steve.
. .27/1000 N B
.677/1000 S W
. .#?/2000 S W
.420/2000 B G
1361/2000 N B
1387/2000 N B

Posts: 1699 | From: Middle, Michigan | Member Since: 09/08/06 | IP: (68.188.223.236) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 798333 posted 06/02/09 11:40 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
so an update from the last time i posted.

the buying frenzy begins!

i have worked out a deal with my parents. i am borrowing money from my parents to get the car back on the road, and legal, and in my name, .... before the last weekend of this month.
i will of course pay them the money back, its just i need all this stuff now.

what i have bought, and am waiting for already is...
- the fenders (red)
- the tail light
- the dohc n/t ecu
- the rad (aluminum, and i almost have it, im just waiting on a refund so i can pay the guy for it)

what i still need to buy is...
- the complete dohc n/t 4g63 engine
- clutch kit (will be buying tomorrow)
- the dohc n/t wiring harness
- the rack & pinion (will be buying either tomorrow, or the day after)

then the legalities i have to get are...
- the insurance put onto the car
- the car to be put in my name, and registered
- and to get it to pass inspection

so seeing as this is gonna become very fast paced, quite quickly, we'll see what happens!

i will try to make as much documentation, and pics, as i can.

lets see how fast i can get this bad-boy done.

wish me luck! i sure as hell am gonna need it.

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 798335 posted 06/02/09 11:45 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Coolness! Post up your questions if you have any. Best of luck .

Posts: 512 | From: Asheville upon NC | Member Since: 07/19/08 | IP: (72.71.122.243) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 798707 posted 06/03/09 11:41 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
further update...

i can now cross off a few more things on the list.
i just bought...
- the clutch kit (now have)
- the rack & pinion (now have)
- and the radiator (awaiting shipment)
and the rest of the stuff i have bought..
- the fenders (red) (awating shipment)
- the tail light (awating shipment)
- the dohc n/t ecu (awating shipment)

so that means i only have two things left on the list...
- the 4G63 DOHC N/T complete engine
- and the wiring harness

i will be going up to install the rack & pinion tomorrow, and hope that there is nothing wrong with it.

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 798788 posted 06/04/09 08:51 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
I HAVE BOUGHT THE ENGINE!!!!!

4G63 DOHC non turbo. complete engine.
ended up being $892.30 (can) total - shipping and taxes included.

will arrive here in the next 5-10 business days.

i cant wait!

all i need now is the wiring harness!
guys, help me out, please!

if you know anyone that has the wiring harness that i need, please tell them to send me a pm.
thanks!

Posts: 192 | From: Lacombe, Alberta | Member Since: 04/28/09 | IP: (174.115.52.219) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 798793 posted 06/04/09 08:59 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      

Posts: 192 | From: Lacombe, Alberta | Member Since: 04/28/09 | IP: (174.115.52.219) | Report this post to a Moderator

cspetros
Scores a 10

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 798848 posted 06/04/09 12:08 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Rock awesome! My Pull-A-Part date is coming up soon. If you still need that harness by then, I'll see if I can hunt one down for you.

Posts: 512 | From: Asheville upon NC | Member Since: 07/19/08 | IP: (152.18.67.76) | Report this post to a Moderator

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 799046 posted 06/04/09 11:33 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
im pending a harness sale right now. still working out the price.

now seeing as almost all my parts will arrive in a week, i have that long to get the rest of the car preped. get the rust all sanded down, and bodyfilled.

altho one major problem right now is goint to be getting this thing mounted up.
any ideas on how to fix this? the front of the engine mounts to this.
i need some way to weld the threads to a plate, and welding that plate to the rest of the car. its gonna take some custom fabrication. but i just need pointers on how to do this best. thanks.

Woosky117
Brake it Down

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 799598 posted 06/06/09 10:41 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
so heres an update of the work i did on friday.

i installed the rack and pinion that i bought. no looseness in the wheel anymore!
i got the drivers side fender off. the grill, and the light.
next is gonna be taking the other fender off.

there is a little bit of rust that was under the fender, but were gonna cut that out, and weld in another piece. if you look, you can see one of the bolts that holds on the fender is still there, and with a little piece of the fender. the bolt was slipping, and it was impossible to get out. so i just cut around it.

here is the fender when i finaly got it off. as you can see, one of the corners is ripped off. that thing was in bad shape.

and this is the new clutch kit that i bought.

best of all, i will most likely get my engine monday, as it already arrived in the city of moncton on friday. i am so excited!
ill be trying to get as much work as i can, done tomorrow, so that i can get to the engine sooner. ill keep you guys posted!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  Hertz, curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Thread views: 23477

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.263 seconds in which 0.128 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page