The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

my new VR4 91 896 summit white *UPDATED WITH PICS*

91GSR

so i will be going next Friday to pick it up. as soon as i get it I'm going to get the ECU to Terry to get the caps done. right after that I'm gonna start diagnosing what is wrong with it. the seller said that the previous owner turned it off after a weird noise and never got it to start again. my guess is the timing belt and then the valves got effed up. so ill probably end up tearing apart the motor and getting it rebuilt. then its off to all the other replacement stuff. got a water pump already and I'm going to do ALL the belts. while the motor is out I'm going to remove the AC and cruise control, mostly because i never use them, but also because it takes up so much room. this will become my official tear down/rebuild thread. Wish me luck and if there are any other things i should do right off the bat before any modding let me know.

Process:
ECU to Terry
Rebuild engine
Timing belt/water pump
fuel system (change the stock lines to SS braided fuel lines with upgraded pump)
??

Last edited:

ktmrider

First off, congrats! We're glad to see you get one instead of trying to build one...
Work SLOOOWWWW. Get her running WELL before you mod, even before removing things like A/C, EGR, emissions, and the like. I realize it's way easier when the engine is out but if you alter a bunch of stuff and cannot get the car started you will be re-tracing your steps ( painfully ).
Good luck, have fun, keep us up on the progress!

91GSR

hmmm...it might not be 837. he is sending me the VIN tomorrow. i will run a carfax on it and find out the info. ill let you know what the real number is. and if it isnt in fact 837, but has the 837 badge, i would be glad to send it to you, ill pay shipping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

fivestardsm

Big kudos!!!!! Like everyone is saying, take it slow, meaning just take your time and don't take any short cuts!!

Hope to hear some good things!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

Quoting 91GSR:
hmmm...it might not be 837. he is sending me the VIN tomorrow. i will run a carfax on it and find out the info. ill let you know what the real number is. and if it isnt in fact 837, but has the 837 badge, i would be glad to send it to you, ill pay shipping /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

You wont find the "number" by running the VIN.

Lonewolf64

Quoting 91GSR:

Unfortunately the badge number is seemingly a random addition that they added as the car was leaving the factory and is not tied in with the VIN or anything else in any way. If you have lost your badge, there is no way to find out what your number used to be.

Also CONGRATS on getting a vr4! All that talk of converting your GSR was a silly idea, and you'll realize this the first time you drive your vr4 after your rebuild.

Also, unless this will not be your daily driver, I don't recommend getting rid of the A/C and power steering. If you must delete the power steering, make sure to change to a manual steering rack (the proper way to delete PS).

GVR4_1057

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Awesome dude. You are way ahead already.

91GSR

Quoting Lonewolf64:
Quoting 91GSR:

Unfortunately the badge number is seemingly a random addition that they added as the car was leaving the factory and is not tied in with the VIN or anything else in any way. If you have lost your badge, there is no way to find out what your number used to be.

Also CONGRATS on getting a vr4! All that talk of converting your GSR was a silly idea, and you'll realize this the first time you drive your vr4 after your rebuild.

Also, unless this will not be your daily driver, I don't recommend getting rid of the A/C and power steering. If you must delete the power steering, make sure to change to a manual steering rack (the proper way to delete PS).

im not deleting the power steering. i drove sam's (dsmless) vr4 and he has a manual rack...that thing was a bitch to turn lol. thanks for all the support guys. next weekend i will be diving in head first to diagnose a problem. where can i get a code reader? the vr4 was OBD 1 right? this will give me a HUGE head start in trying to find out a problem. in the end once i have it built i am going to run a palm datalogger, but while im fixing it up to run right how do i diagnose things without having to run back to the board and ask questions every 20 minutes, getting grease and junk all over my keyboard lol

turbowop

Just get an old Palm III series and MMCD. Then you won't need a code reader.

Are you sure you even need to do a full on rebuild? You may wanna check to make sure the timing belt went and messed up any valves. Even if it did, there's a good chance you only need to pull the head and have it redone, rather than the whole motor.

91GSR

well first thing i wanna do is read any codes being thrown. as soon as i find that out i will start taking things out to find out why it wont start. where can i find one of those old school palms? e-gay? and i know i will need a datalogger cable and everything like that too right? is there a vfaq on hooking it up?

EDIT: just searched around e-gay for a few minutes. basically i will need the unit (obviously). and then i will need one of these cables right? this cable has the auto on feature it says and it also can come with a null modem connector for 5 bucks extra. this is all i need for a datalogger setup right? well and another obvious the software.

Last edited:

91GSR

that cable goes directly from the ECU to the palm...so the hot sync cable is for what? guessing just to hook to a computer right?

my first mod after everything is running correctly is going to be the fuel system. i wont be driving it very much til i get everything up and going, but from what i have read the stock fuel lines are garbage. i want to run SS lines for pretty much everything. im going to remove ABS, since i dont do any snow driving here in VA its not really needed. the 4WS...thats iffy. if someone can give me a decent reason to have it ill keep it otherwise its gone too. im just going to do small things building up to a full engine overhaul. gonna do the pistons, rods, all the seals, everything. ive got big plans, but of course everyone does until something bad happens and then u end up JSB for 3 years or something lol

Terry Posten

Stock fuel lines will support a lot of power. Unless they are leaking or you want 600hp, then don't mess with them.

91GSR

the guy said its been sitting for about 6 months or so...they might be a little rust-o-licious. if not then i might leave them.

mountaineerjeff

the cable goes from the obd1 to connect to the second cable which connects to the palm

Ian M

If the battery has gone dead in those 6 months it has been sitting,any codes (if there were any) in the ECU will be gone.

The TB is a good hunch,and it's a easy thing to check.

Years of winter driving on Va salty roads would have done more damage to the stock fuel lines than 6 months of sitting,if they look good I'd leave them alone. I'd bet the fittings are going to be plenty crusty at the tank,though. Since a upgraded pump is in the near future,when you get it home one of the first things I'd do is take the cover in the trunk off and start soaking the fittings. You'll thank yourself.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings