The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

starter problems

i need a new starter and i guess in VR4s its in a difficult spot? only way i think i can get to it easy would to take the trasfercase out or take the intake manifold out. Anyone on here have this problem and know how to do it with out taking them off??

thatd be a big help

Terry Posten

It is easy.

Remove negitive battery terminal FIRST.

Remove both bolts and then remove the speedo cable. Then just back the starter out of the tranny bump and move towards the firewall and pull striaght out toward passinger side finder.

Then you remove the battery cable and starter signal wire.

Install in reverse order. Do the wiring first or you will be sorry.

You may want to go to the auto store and buy a 32-36" 2ga battery cable and replace the old stock part. 2 out of the 3 GVR4s I have had/work on, had this cable go bad. It becomes resistive and wont pass enough amps to crank the starter. A real pain in the ass to do it later. The cable costs around $10.00.

Last edited:

alright ill give it a try tomorrow when i put it on a lift thought i throw it on a lift if i dont get snowed in and try from that angle rather than on the ground .

thanks Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

Its a bit of a PITA but not that bad. The hardest thing is getting down to the mounting bolts and then finding enough clearance to actually crack the bolts loose and back them out. I usually loosen both bolts a bit and then hold the back of the starter up with one hand and then spin the bolts out with just a socket an extention and my fingers. I also have a rachet with a handle that I can twist in addition to its normal movement. It is very usefull in situations were you can't get clearance to move the handle.

Its more of an issue of familiarity than actual difficulty. The again, I have arms long enough to make most brachiating primates jealous.

hahaha alright because i looked at it and i was like HOLY /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/jawdrop.gif this is gonna suck.

hate to be off topic but if i lost my starter solenoid cable can that be replaced????

gvr4737

the starter is simple to do on that car, especially with the engine bay being stripped of unneccasary sh*t..

just reach ur arm behind the block and unbolt the positive and neg from it..

than unbolt the two bolts that hold the starter in.. reach ur arm behind and wiggle it out, than pull it around and u have no problem gettin it out

gvr4737

dont remove the speedo cable and dont remove anything else..

just wat i told u

i could bang out starters in that car in less than 15 minutes

Terry Posten

Really, you can do a starter in these cars in 15 minutes?

Then why are you removing a non-existant ground wire? /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

Do you know what the connections on starters are?

There is only TWO wires that come off. And there is ZERO reasons to remove them until AFTER you pull it out. Much easier and faster.

The large POSITIVE cable and the small soliniod trigger that, if stock, just unplugs.

gvr4737

was that supposed to be a cocky remark to me???

i dont see the big issue... u pull off the one connected and use a wrench on the other.. than unbolt the starter with the 2 long bolts and wiggle it out.. if ur engine bay isnt cluster fucked than theyre isnt any reason why u can not get it done in less than 20 mins.

Rausch

Watch it with the swearing in this section.

atc250r

Staff member
Quote:
Then why are you removing a non-existant ground wire?

Depending on who fiddled with it last, the ground wire might be on one of the two starter mounting bolts.

Please keep the thread on track and watch the language Mark.

Thanks.

John

gvr4737

you guys are soo cute..

i guess everyone just hates me now cause i dont own a 91 galant.

damnit..

alrite... next galant gsx for sale is mine

speedyvr4

Damm I feel stupid, I took my T.case out to do it.lol. Oh well at least I did it on a lift and didn't have to do kama sutra positions to get to the starter.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts