The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which spark plugs?

onesickcrx

I am running bpr6es and I get knock at anything above 14psi on NY shity pump gas. So what plugs do you guys run at say around 19psi? I am going to install bpr7es and bpr8es tonight see if there is any difference on knock issue with those plugs. I was just curious to see what you all run? I have c.o.p. if that makes a diffrence to your responses?

I run BP7ES gapped at .028 (for 17psi+) in most applications and don't have any issues.

JSchleim18

I don't understand how we have shitty pump gas when we can get 93 and some spots 100 /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/dunno.gif

+1 on the BPR7ES Plugs

Last edited:

CP

I use NGK BPR7ES gapped to .022-.025 at 23psi on 93 octane.

onesickcrx

I am refering too the 10% ethonal in our fuel it sucks never had issues with any of my bikes or car intill the ethonal. Some states have 15% I feel for them. It eats the anisation off carb parts not that were carborated but just saying.

I'll try opening my gap back up to .025 I have had them from .018 to .028

At first I thought it was the air/fuel but its stays at 11.5 as boost ramps up then soon as it fully boosted stays at 11.2 so i doubt thats the problem

onesickcrx

base timing is set a 5 degrees it was at 0 but advancing or retarding didn't change the knock issue.

spooling92vr4

California guys would probably stab someone in the neck to have 93 octane there. NY gas PRICES suck, but the gas is good.

atc250r

Staff member
NY gas seems OK to me. I run 25psi on my 56trim with it all the time with no knock. It sounds like you may have some other issues going on.

1gnasty

Quote:
I am refering too the 10% ethonal in our fuel it sucks never had issues with any of my bikes or car intill the ethonal. Some states have 15% I feel for them. It eats the anisation off carb parts not that were carborated but just saying.

I'll try opening my gap back up to .025 I have had them from .018 to .028

At first I thought it was the air/fuel but its stays at 11.5 as boost ramps up then soon as it fully boosted stays at 11.2 so i doubt thats the problem

ethanol is the best thing ever i cant wait to we get e85 in our area,sounds like u have some tuning sues to me

atc250r

Staff member
10-15% Ethanol in our fuel is not a plus in the performance department since the octane of the fuel is still 93 and you need more injector to keep your AFR's in check if there is Ethanol mixed in. I'm looking forward to E85 getting here too but the crap that passes for pump gas now cannot be compared to it.

John

pachood_1953

Quote:
I run BP7ES gapped at .028 (for 17psi+) in most applications and don't have any issues.

Should I run 7es's (and what gap) on 9:1 w/ 93 and meth, at ~15-20 psi?

Yes, start with the BPR7ES and go from there. It's always best to only change one thing at a time, so only change one heat range at a time. Going to a too cold spark plug when it's unnecessary can be detrimental to performance. I'd start the gap at stock (which I think is 0.028) and adjust it down as necessary. You want the largest gap you can reliably run. A larger gap requires a more powerful spark to jump across it, which gives you a hotter spark and a much better source of ignition and will help keep the plug clean. However, at high boost levels there's just so much air and fuel between the electrode and ground strap that it can make sparking difficult, and that's when you need to start closing it a bit.

I have the iridium 8's in mine. the only detectable down side has been a small amount of poping cold, after about two min of run time they work great. then again not everybody wants to run ten buck a piece plugs.

Chief_Mak

while we are on the topic of spark plugs, has anyone tried one of those plugstar plugs?? Supposedly, they can deliver 1 million watts of peak power.

click

GVR-4

Upon Ken Inn's suggestion, I have been running the Bosch WR7DTC plugs for a few years now and I like them. They have three straps surrounding the electrode and are "gapped" at ~.30". They have to be special ordered and are $5 each. The only time the spark gets blown out (16 psi) and the car stumbles is when they wear to the point that they need to be replaced, which is when I replace them. /ubbthreads/images//graemlins/wink.gif

My local CarQuest stocks BPR7ES's in the express pack (10 plugs) just for me. Apparantly I go through a lot of them.

Wizardawd

BPR6ES are stock....rule of thumb is +1 heat range for each 100hp.

And minus the P for Nitrous or high boost over 30psi.

IE: 400hp car at 25psi no Nos would be BPR8ES

This is just rule of thumb. Since parts combinations make a difference (wires, ignition, fuel, piston dish, etc.) it will be up to you to pick a number based on that rule of thumb and then tune and change from there.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts