The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TB service, etc

I just have a few basic questions that I’m hoping someone can answer for me.

Next week I’m going to send off my TB to be serviced by throttlebodys.com. At the same time, I want to eliminate the mess of vac lines, remove the egr and have the fiav blocked.

I printed off the before and after taboo diagram but certain things don’t match up when looking at the Galant. First, where is the evaporative emission purge solenoid? Is that where the lines from the charcoal canister (the metal line on the firewall), lead to? Is the purge control solenoid located just after the canister, or is it the thing that is sitting up high on the firewall?

By removing all these vac. lines, say for example the 2 going to the thermostat housing, am I doing any harm’? I mean, it must be there for a reason. Are all ports just plugged with caps?

As far as the egr/fiav block off, I still am not 100% sure on the procedure. Maybe someone can point out a good link, but for the fiav blockoff, is the valve just removed from the intake mani., a plate is installed, and the actual valve is just tossed? And for the egr, the plate is installed and the egr is reinstalled ontop of it?
Like I said, if someone could point out a link that would be awesome

Terry Posten

You don't need to re-install the EGR valve if you get a thick enough plate. Cleans things up a bit.

The FIAV block-off plate can be had from Steve Monroe at Throttlebodies.com also. He will even get you a new gasket and proper length screws. And yes, the old FIAV body with ISC valve is just put on the shelf just in case you want to re-install later.

As for all the vac line questions. Take everything out, canister and all. You only need 3 vac lines. (leave the large brake booster and PCV lines alone)

Line to AFPR
Line to BOV
Line to wastegate

Get a vac line tee and install just before the AFPR for your boost/vac gauge source.

Super simple.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Last edited:

So I've read through many many DSM sites about the fiav, and I'm starting to understand it better. I'd prefer to keep my ISC functional, but still ditch the fiav. It looks like the plate from Steve is a complete blockoff, so I'll have to go through someone else for a different plate.

Once the plate is installed, I can then loop the coolant lines to eachother, correct?

To get rid of the EGR, simply remove it, install a plate, disconnect any lines going to it, and thats all?

Just want to be sure on everything before I start to yank every vac line I see and then have something go wrong

Terry Posten

You are correct on the EGR.

Yes, the plate from Steve replaces the ISC also. If you want, fill the FIAV chambers with JBweld and then the ISC still will work. That way you don't even need a plate. But still get a new gasket when he rebuilds it to make sure you don't have any vac leaks.

I'm not sure if I want to ditch the ISC completely at this point. I don't ever use A/C, but I still have a bit of an rpm drop when a turn on the lights, or the fan kicks in.

Maybe I'll give it a try without the fiav and isc and if that doesnt work for me, I'll get a plate so the isc can work again.

thanks for the help sofar Terry, I'll probably have more questions as I go along /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts