The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1G DSM and GVR4 (FWD engine with AWD tranny in GVR4)

Ok, I tried searching and nothing I came up with answered my question.

My question is this: I found a 1G FWD 4g63T DSM for very cheap. If I pull the engine out of that car, will it bolt up to a 1G AWD DSM transmission/transfer case for transplanting into a GVR4?

I apologize in advance if this is something that has been asked before. Like I said, I've searched and found nothing. Thanks.

Micah

Title edited for clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:

You're good to go. Just make sure you do the research on the little parts that are different and need to be swapped over. Make sure you use the AWD flywheel and backing plate... there's a couple other things too but where's the fun in it if we give you all the answers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

in his wallet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Ok. So I will need the clutch and flywheel from the AWD, as well as the engine mounts I'm assuming. I think I'll also need the radiator hoses and thermostat housing I think, since DSM's have the radiator fill cap on the thermostat (like a neon) and a VR4 has it on the radiator, right? I'm not asking for all of the answers, but just so I know, am I looking at a wiring nightmare or something?

Take both motors, set them side by side. strip your donor motor to a long block. in this case you can leave the pan, intake,valve cover & exhaust mani.

You should take this opportunity to remove the balance shafts & replace all timing components w/water pump included.

I also like to do the head gasket & clean the carbon out of used motors when I use them. which means another good opportunity to upgrade to head studs.

Be sure to replace all seals, rear main, front crank & cams.

If I'm missing something, someone chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks! My problem, however is that the car was stolen from the current owner and the engine was taken out before the car was recovered. The wiring is all intact, but I don't have an original VR4 engine to work with. That's the reason for my not knowing what it will take to get this thing on the road again.

Ahh got ya. the mounts are different you may need to hit up a part out in the for sale. also as mentioned the plate that go's between the engine & trans. that & the flywheel/clutch is the same as a 1g dsm awd turbo.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts