The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help w/ re-installing front axle

PJGross

This is definitely a newb question so here goes:

Installing a Raxle passenger front shaft today. New axle seal in, attempt to insert axle, no go.
I sent back my core last year but I know I compared the two and they looked fine. The C clip does appear pretty stout on this and the ends are out at least a 1/16 of an inch, but before I do anything stupid I wanted to double check:

Axle binds about 1 to 1.5" from seating. Definitely engages the splines no problem.

Can someone reassure me of the engagement dimensions? 3" from tip of spline to axle cup, splines a little under 1.5", about 1" of smooth, then the shoulder is about 1/2". Sound about right?

Am I just a 225lb wuss or what? Everything I read says it should just pop back in.

Just didn't want to bust something.

Thanks,
PJ

PJGross

Nevermind, I'm just a wuss.
Actually, a tiny amount of grease to hole the wire C on center was all it took. Dry fit the axle w/o the clip just to be sure. Went in like butta.

Later,
PJ

PJGross

...now I just need help getting 165lb of torque on that nut!

j/k, I think I could get it with about an 8" handle and gravity as an estimate if I didn't have a torque wrench. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-PJ

Jason G.

Be sure to get the axle nuts close to spec. Too loose or too tight could, in time, cause the wheel bearings to take a dump.

speedyvr4

another good technique is to tighten, then back it off, then tighten again. This helps ensure the axle sits in good in the hub. I ususally do this with an impact gun. If not just get it as tight as you can, and take it to somebody with an impact gun or a big tourqe wrench( a shop ).

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts