The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shooting Out Black Stuff

My car is shooting out black stuff from the exhaust. Any idea of what's causing it? Also i took off the intake and from what i see, oil or some kind of black liquid is drippin out from the turbo. The liquid also got a lil into the turbo and intercooler piping as well.

s_firestone

This is kind of vague so I'll answer the best that I can. These two symptoms (liquid out of the exhaust and liquid dripping from the turbo inlet) might be unrelated.

If it's oil at the entrance to the cold side of the turbo it's likely coming from the valve cover vent/PCV that connects to the intake snorkel(a certain amount of oil pooling in the intake/turbo is perfectly normal). Your PCV valve might be bad if its excessive. Most people resort to a catch can with a filter to stop oil vapor from pooling in the intake tract.

It could also be the turbo oil seal is shot. The turbo oil drain line could be clogged or the oil is overfilled (either would keep the oil from draining properly from the turbo, allowing it to leak).

Have you been using any solvents in or around the engine? Run through any big puddles or flooded streets?

Or you could be dumping gasoline and it's picking up soot(could be running extremely rich). It could also be a lot of gasoline in the oil(blowby, clogged PCV valve) and it has thinned the oil significantly.

The most important thing to do first is drain the oil and clean everything you can get to then refill with fresh oil. Replace the PCV, oil filter, etc. Replace or check your air filter to make sure it's not clogged up(causing a higher vacuum than normal). I would also consider pulling the downpipe loose at the front to see if its wet. You could also pull your plugs and check them.

What is the consistency?

What does it smell like?

Does the car smoke when running at normal operating temps?

Does the car smoke under boost?

If so what color is the smoke?

Depending on the climate most cars will have some condensed water vapor in the exhaust upon starting the engine. Too much water coming out of the exhaust could be a blown head gasket and it will pick up some soot. Are you running pure water in your radiator or a mixture of antifreeze/water? Antifreeze will create white smoke as it heats but water will not.

CP

Is your car stock (hose setup et al)? How old (miles) is the turbo?

Before it was shooting out white smoke. But now its spitting black stuff(i'm guessing oil). The car is basically stock. Motor was swapped by previous owner and was told mileage is around 60k. The car does smell gas. As soon as u turn on the ignition, it spits out the stuff.

For sure i'm using antifreeze.

The check engine light is on too. Its weird cause the check engine light goes off as u gas the car and turns back on when regular idle. Other than that turbo seems to spool fine until third gear, it bogs a little but its like off/on...

I will pull everything out first and see what's up. definitely drain the oil and clean up some stuff. anything else, i will update. Thanks guys!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts