The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Alternator Removal

Alright, the alternator is off the car, but how do I get it out? According to the Chilton manual for 1st gens it should just come right out. It doesn't! Maybe someone can fill me in on a GVR4 secret, lol. Or maybe I'm just a nOOb...

slugsgomoo

if you have factory intercooler pipe routing you may need to pull the pipe that goes over the manifold, pull the three mounting bolts for the PS pump, move it out of the way (don't undo the lines) and pull it up through the top. I've always had an easier time pulling it through the top than through the bottom.

It does come right out ... once you remove enough other parts in the way. Basically there are two common exit strategies: remove the upper IC pipe and swing the radiator up and out of the way, or remove the upper IC pipe and PS pump bracket and swing the PS pump out of the way. I've done it both ways and prefer the PS pump, but some people like the other.
Mike R.

boostedinaz

Quote:
Alright, the alternator is off the car, but how do I get it out? According to the Chilton manual for 1st gens it should just come right out. It doesn't! Maybe someone can fill me in on a GVR4 secret, lol. Or maybe I'm just a nOOb...

When you say it won't come right our are you talking about a physical obstruction (like power steering pump0 or are you saying it still feels attached to the mounts?

I know that the alt has some pressed in bushing on the lower mount. If they are pressed in to much then the alt will feel stuck to the lower mount. If that is the problem just pry it off with a screwdriver and follow the ideas above to actually get it out of the car.

Dang that was freaking quick.

I meant a physical obstruction. I'm going to try removing the power steering pump. That seems way easier.

Thanks!

i did mine in 45 minutes by moving the ps pump and intercooler bracket, that also included going to the auto parts store to get the alternator

skivittlerjimb

I did this job last night... had my GVR4 alternator replacement cherry popped. Not quite as easy as folks make it sound, IMHO. Just hand tools, cramped. cold garage, etc. Biggest PITA was the proximity of the oil filter to the alt. pivot bolt. It makes it very hard to see where it is the first time you do it, and pretty hard to thread the pivot bolt back for installation.

I'd recommend doing an oil change the same time as your alt. removal. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Sounds silly but having the oil filter off would make the bottom of the alt. much more accessible.

Also did the PS pump and brackets method of removal. Even had to move a little relay mounted on a bracket near at the top corner of the radiator to make sure I wouldn't damage radiator fins on its way out. Not looking forward to doing that job again. Once A/C comes out of this car, I'm going to seriously consider the alt. relocation bracket. The factory location is so dang close to the exh. manifold the poor little alt. has little chance of a long healthy life.

-Jim B.
280/1000
1432/2000

steve

It is cramped and not as simple as it sounds, I agree. I think I prefer pulling the radiator to make it easier to work in there.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned