The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Evo 8 cams?

Myles

Can you use evo 8 cams in our cars? And does it make a difference? Are they better then what we have stock?
Thanks Ahead

stealthtt24

edit: i cant read /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

Last edited:

Those posts talk about using EVO II or III cams, but Myles is asking about EVO VIII cams. I have always wondered about this too, and read a couple posts by some people who say that it is in fact possible, and gives a mild midrange performance increase. This makes sense, as the basic architecture of the motor hasn't really changed. Supposedly the trick is to use the EVO cam gears and to switch the intake/exhaust cams (you would use the EVO intake cam in the exhaust position on our cars and vice versa.) Other than that its supposedly a bolt in proposition. I've made a deal to buy a pair of EVO VIII cams and will be installing them in the 1G motor I'm building now. Then I'll be able to speak from experience, and maybe I'll make a VFAQ on it.

Do a search. It has been discussed on this board a couple times. They are a good upgrade for 1g cars for people who don't want to spend the money or go up to 264 cams or like cams.

evo 8 cams can be used. but you have to consider this, is it really worth it? in order to use them because the evo's Cam angle sensor is on the exhaust cam on the evo
you will have to use this cam in the intake position on the galant, because the CAS on the galant is on the intake. and DSM/Galant dowels are @ 12 o'clock, while the EVO dowels are different by 90*. which means you will have to use the evo cam gears or look at Fidanza or some of the other aftermarket cam gear mfr, you will see 2 sets of holes. The Fidanza that I have clearly mark 1 set as DSM and the other as EVO.

that way everything will line up correctly.

but i wouldnt do it, because an intake cam was designed to be soly for the intake and switching them you may cause a problem. the only real way to do it would be to have the evos intake cam machined so the cas will sit on this cam.

just buy a used set of cams and be done with it. hell Brian Cowers or under $300

JSchleim18

i picked up a set of evo 8 cams and cam gears both for 50 shipped...i think it's worth it...not installed yet (evolutionm.net will be a great friend)

Myles

Thanks you guys. Those explanations were much better than a couple links. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any other opinions? Has anyone done it?

I have done it on a couple peoples cars. They seem to love the results. Seems like almost the perfect cam setup for a DD street e3 16g powered car.

You can also have the intake cam notched for the cas and drill holes in the stock cam gears for the placement if you want. It's not THAT hard to do it right. They are a great cheap upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:

I doubt there is much difference between the intake and exhaust profile, given that these cams are from a production street car and not anything radical. The fact that they can be found for cheap makes all the difference for me. Being on a tight budget, its either used EVO cams or nothing at all.

rheckert

Quote:
Thanks you guys. Those explanations were much better than a couple links. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Any other opinions? Has anyone done it?

I think Chris aka v8sareslo might be able to help you out, and he is close...
try PMing him.

jepherz

Staff member
I believe you can buy reground cams for around 300 as well, that mimic HKS cams. I haven't heard anything bad about them yet.

when i said you can get BC's for 300, their new and NOT REGRINDS! Ive got a set beeing shiped as we speak

That may be true, although $300 is about two or three times what a set of used EVO cams will cost. (Somebody even said they got a pair for $50!) Also, the HKS cams are more aggressive and designed for better high rpm flow, while I'm interested in the EVO cams for an improvement in midrange rpm. I'm using a Cyclone manifold for improved low end torque and I've heard that using an aggressive cam with the Cyclone causes a drop in low rpm torque. Whether that is really true I can't say, but I'm very interested in trying the EVO cams. Probably not for everyone, but nothing wrong with increasing your performance for very little money.

Polish

I too will probably go the EVO cam route when it comes time. For the same reason as above, it's cheap and increases power. I can't afford the big baller cams but if I can increase the power and save low end with a minimal expense I say why not.

atc250r

Staff member
BC 280's are in my car right now. I've put about 500 miles on them with no problems. It idles ROUGH but makes a bunch more power up top. It feels like I'm finally making use of the SMIM that's on the car.

John

Quote:
It idles ROUGH but makes a bunch more power up top. It feels like I'm finally making use of the SMIM that's on the car.

Exactly. If you are looking for lots of power up top then the big cam is what you need. But if you're looking for power at a lower rpm then the big cams are overkill and idle rough to boot. Exactly what you need for your car, but exactly wrong for mine.

atc250r

Staff member
They make other cams besides the ones I have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

John

atc250r

Staff member
I mistakenly thought you were talking about upgrading to 264's or bigger. I guess if you want to throw the stock Evo8 ones in it'd be a cheap upgrade for a 16G powered car but don't forget the cost of gears just in case you need to go to aftermarket ones.

John

Yeah thats the point I was making, that its a decent upgrade (especially for the money) for a 16G powered car that isn't trying to tear up the drag strip. As for cam gears, the factory EVO gears are all that should be needed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Classifieds Listings